Bamfield Poett Nook 2014- 2015

Way to many guys 'sport fishing' and selling their catch. Stocks can't take that kind of pressure. Then get greedy and grabbing others catches as well.

This licks.

m2b

i dont know anyone that catches enuff to sell , so cant comment on that..

other than a few weeks before the Commercial opening ,
there is almost no one on the water in Barkley Sound , ghost town , its nasty out here ...
when the majority of tourists ( Sporty"s) come in April May ,,, there is barely anything left ta catch , Commercial opens first week May ....
mid May n June are dead for us , then slowly gets slightly more productive , maybe enuff to put on the dinner table while on vacation , i personally dont prawn from may till october ,as most of us regulars from the nook
the boats that get the bulk of them have hundreds of traps on there back decks ,
and that includes the winter , i was force ta tow one of the jackasses in once as a few of you here seen ,
they had hundeds of traps soakin !! thats the real fricken problem here on the west

maybe you guys are referring to different areas obviously ,
sure hope thats not the case , in any areas
my traps are all gone for the summer...

its Halibut Season :))
cant wait

fd

I'll be one of the tourist "Sporty's" up this weekend. First time this year,lookin forward to it.We'll be poking around droppin some traps and some lines with some outa towners. Any other forum dudes around? We are the Knucklebuster II ,21 WA Striper

Late report from last weekend..sorry just swamped at this time of the year.... Got out Friday noonish came home Sunday afternoon.... stay at Pat's cabin with his crew for he weekend.. Fished for Bugs and flat cod for the weekend didn't really even angle for salmon..... Little a snotty sat/sunday. on the outside but we were able to drop the hook and got a couple flat cod and lost some good ones over the weekend... Bugs were not red hot but got some good feeds... great weekend over all with good friends .....

Attachments

• 20140426_133337_resized.jpg
    20140426_133337_resized.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 885
  • 20140426_190801_resized.jpg
    20140426_190801_resized.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 879
  • 20140425_185403_resized.jpg
    20140425_185403_resized.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 876
Nice pic's...it was more like Deadliest catch out there. I saw more of the bottom of your boat than the top side. That pic doesn't give justice to how sketchy conditions were. Not something I plan to do any time soon again in those conditions. Sure got ugly in a hurry. Damn good anchors from PNT!

Ha haa haaa... got to say it was the first time I ever felt green on the water... and a had couple green ones over the bow..:) all was good... you did well on the flat cod the next day... and of course Al did a bang up job on dinner... thank u staying at ur cabin:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Way to get it done in those conditions! (Anyone can fish in calm seas lol ;)). Did the HDS get submerged? :eek:. I mean, I know there water proof, but come on man. Ha ha :p.

I'll give you a call tomorrow. I have that transducer for ya :).

Cheers,
John

Great reportDerby.. I wanna catch a flatcod..., just hope it is a little more flat out, I can handle the waves but it take some of the fun out of it..Sculpin.. going to buy an avet today to catch a elusive flatcod...put me on the flaties buddy :)

Nice work Deryk !!
Wow... gonna guess that wind really picked up after ya set the hook ,or maybe your set ? is just alot larger than mine lol,
no thanks... lill too sketchy for the hook for me...would stayed on the porch im thinkin....
that looks MISERABLE , good on ya guys ,
nice size bugz this time of year eh !! all spawned out too...
ya got my blood flowin , our turn next week , boats almost all prettied up,,, ready ta play

let me know what day your comin through this week , meet ya %100 this time , much easier week..

fd

Started out like the pic below.. yup one needs to be very careful on the hook being a little new at it had a a friend with me who has some experience to help me out.... when we finished up the wind was about 25knts...Had some good feeds on the bugs..very yummie...

Attachments

• 20140426_094514_resized_1.jpg
    20140426_094514_resized_1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,412
It was way nicer today and yesterday compared to last week when those pics were shot. Flatties were biting good too. Was very slow for bugs Saturday, but today was far better. We didn't do any Salmon fishing this weekend, but from the guys I talked to it was spotty. DFO enforcement was out running around too, which was a very pleasant surprise. Nice to see them. They were working out of the Ricker and planned to run up coast this week which is simply awesome to see areas getting enforcement that generally never see a fish cop.

It was way nicer today and yesterday compared to last week when those pics were shot. Flatties were biting good too. Was very slow for bugs Saturday, but today was far better. We didn't do any Salmon fishing this weekend, but from the guys I talked to it was spotty. DFO enforcement was out running around too, which was a very pleasant surprise. Nice to see them. They were working out of the Ricker and planned to run up coast this week which is simply awesome to see areas getting enforcement that generally never see a fish cop.

Good to here the WE Ricker is out and about. We have done lot's of work on that vessel. She and the crew are very cool :cool:.

She was everywhere. They said the science plan was to do drag up shrimp to conduct an assessment of the biomass. Amazing how much ground she covered over the past few days. Interesting because we noticed some of our sets produced a lot of shrimp, more than I'm used to seeing. Hopefully a good sign of things to come in future.

We were in Bammer last weekend for the first time of the season. Pretty lumpy on Saturday, fished a bit out at Cree & decided to go back to the wall & area, did'nt catch anything we could keep. Got some bugs and a few dung. Good to get out
We will be back

Any updates from this past weekend? Heading up on Thursday to Tuesday to Poett nook.

When do the commercial guys start for prawns? Is there any salmon fishing in close to speak of?

Thanks in advance for the intel! And if your in the area, stop by for a beer, turn right on the road before the office, I'm in the big 5th wheel right at the end of the road next to Percy. If you know him you'll find me:)

Also are the bears out in force?

pretty sure its closed for sportys now that commercial is open (prawns) id like to know how the fishing is also around bamfield heading out this weekend!!

Last edited by a moderator:
they dont close it , we just get off the water and let them do there mop up ,
not worth the headache , gonna guess the com fleet has pulled out by now , usually all over in a few days from opening ,May 5 i believe it opened,
which has came and gone , cant confirm the salmon report i heard , but sounds like there are a good number of fish around the surf line now ,
, most guys i spoke to , all got there Hali in short order ...
were just hookin up , stayin ta tues or wed , well deserved mini holiday , will try ta post a report from the Nook ,
gd lk out there...

fd

Back