2014 ECVI Nanoose Bay, French Creek Reports

nice fishn kelly!! man you got long arms!!

Nice fish Kelly ! looked like a pretty good haul for you, have heard good things of that sangster place.. wanna fish it one day!

Off topic .......but if you are interested the US aircraft carrier Nimitz is off Nanoose Harbor doing maneuvers today. it is one big ship.

Way to go buddy!!!
Less than a month and back in Bam, hope to see you for a couple of pops

Out off Schooner Cove today......with wifey

1 10lb Chinook
1 12 Chinook
1 hatchery Coho
I Ling Cod
6 kelp greenling (not in pic)

High slack was at 2:45 pm ......most of the action was around that time.

Chinooks caught on Green Splatterback hooch/ Green -silver flasher...
Coho...same
Ling....3 inch metallic green/silver plug

Chinook were all full of very small 1 1/2 to 2 inch baitfish.

Almost zero weed out there....thought I was going to run into a truckload because Jeffy said Nanaimo was plastered with it yesterday...

All the fish were caught in 100ft or less of water.......depth of bottom :- 120 to 80ft.001.jpg

French creek was spotty, but managed to get fish, bite was later in the day. Cohos out on top of deep water. Managed a 21# out at the humps on an army truck.

got a late start and decided on Ballenas this morning. Unfortunately we went 0/2 on some action around the low slack. first fish not too big, second one definitely had some size as did a couple good runs and broke off the trailing hook on hootchie. All hookups at 105ft on white hootchies.

got a late start and decided on Ballenas this morning. Unfortunately we went 0/2 on some action around the low slack. first fish not too big, second one definitely had some size as did a couple good runs and broke off the trailing hook on hootchie. All hookups at 105ft on white hootchies.

Thanks for the report and sorry for the misfortune of 0/2, but you beat most by getting bites!

By white hoochies do you mean white glow hoochies or white UV hoochies (OAL12R)...

oh ya - beats a day at the office for sure!

white hootchies were white glow/oil slick.

lots of boats at Gerald and Mistaken, wonder how they did?

Fished Mistaken yesterday morn, fishing was slow. Picked up a small keeper and lost another at the morning slack. Splatteback at 160'. From what I could tell on the radio most were finding the fishing slow. As Seafever said, the fish I caught had very small baitfish in it. Might have to switch back to my secret squirt :)

Try the high slack and get closer to the reefs.....if you can stand the hair-pulling moments keeping the c/ball off the rocks......:p

That's why I use a small planer (luhr-Jensen deep six) with no flasher and a spoon on it most times in that close.....or use a lighter cannonball like a 5lb or 10lb that won't kill the wallet if I lose it if pulling flasher and hoochy.

Much of the tiny bait is in close to the reefs....

Last year we were jigging in about 40ft of water and my wife hooked into a Chin that was Tyee-class......

Last edited by a moderator:
Back