fly reel question?

Are you thinking like a small single action reel filled with mono on a light rod? If so, thats not uncommon, although I don't personally do it. I've heard of people doing this for trolling around the larger lakes, and they fish off down riggers. Basically sized down salmon fishing aha.

ya i was thinking on putting on just normal fishing line on my fly reel then putting my fly reel on my trout rod and troll a gang troll or something, ide think that the fight would be way more fun with a fly reel

Just make sure your fly reel has a good drag. Mine did not when I tried this and I had to use a break away elastic band around the knob and rod butt to keep line from pulling out while trolling. That said it was a fun way to pull a plug around Cowichan lake.

ya i was thinking on putting on just normal fishing line on my fly reel then putting my fly reel on my trout rod and troll a gang troll or something, ide think that the fight would be way more fun with a fly reel

Islander, definitely report back after you try this out. Cool idea, I am going to give this a whirl after ice off.

Using fly rods with mono is nothing new.It has been done around Campbell River for over 30 years. Cooper has shown it on several shows.

mono on a fly reel is a pretty good way to blow the sides of the reel and seize the whole shootin'match. you might try braid or Dacron instead.

Do it all the time for trolling lakes, no fun using a level wind or coffee grinder. Like others have said, put backing on it as the mono will warp the spool and seize up. Lots even use large arbor fly reels for trolling Salmon.

Put some superbraid on the fly reel, get a 10 ft section of heavy sinking line and then a 7ft piece of 10lb leader to a fly or lure of choice and troll away. IMHO you'll have way more fun with the fight than with a gang troll in the middle!

Back