Gulf Islands 2014 Reports

Just a shout out to everyone fishing the Nanaimo and Gulf Islands area. We are giving out $50 gift certificates at a tackle shop in Nanaimo for good whale info. We started the program last year with the Silva Bay fishing group and it has been working well for them. Basically we are looking for good sighting information with number of whales sighted, location, direction, speed of travel and time sighted. As long as we find them with your information we will supply you with a $50 gift certificate at a tackle shop in Nanaimo, if tackle isn't needed we can do beer instead :). We monitor Channel 79 or you can reach me on my cell @ 250 883 3358.

Thanks a lot a hope to work with you guys!

Apparently there were killer whales at Porlier this morning.

Thanks! Simon at Ocean EcoVentures in Cowichan Bay. 250 883 3358

The Vancouver whale watch boats are on the program too.

On the theory of better late than never - fished Salamanca on Thursday - power line and point area - then out to the ridge - an hour and half each side of low slack and didn't get a bump. Needle fish hootchie and Coho Killer from 80 to 150 on the down rigger. Only birds were out along the ridge.

Been consistent fishing for me at porlier and the cable area... Nothing big yet..beauty fat healthy cookie cutter 10-12# fish. Only one white and one marbled to 4 reds this weekend. Hot gear has been 3-4 inch CJ Specials @ 120 ft. Quite a few coho around too which is a nice change.

Cheers
bugube4a.jpg

fourty four, you mind me asking how deep of water you fishing in? I fished Porlier friday night and saturday morning and did not hook into any fish. Probably could have fished longer but there were no fish or bait showing up on sounder and none of the other boats around were catching anything. We had two nice lings in the boat so when the rain started we ran home for a much needed nap. Maybe it's only on certain tides?

Good looking BBQ fish there 44! nice work. The east side of Galiano was looking a little too sloppy for me yesterday so we stuck to the inside where we had nice calm water but no fish ;) Will be out again next weekend to work east side of galiano and possibly up to thrasher.

Been consistent fishing for me at porlier and the cable area... Nothing big yet..beauty fat healthy cookie cutter 10-12# fish. Only one white and one marbled to 4 reds this weekend. Hot gear has been 3-4 inch CJ Specials @ 120 ft. Quite a few coho around too which is a nice change.

Cheers
bugube4a.jpg

How Big are the Coho at the moment? 2-3 lbs? Are you seeing them up on the surface as well?

How Big are the Coho at the moment? 2-3 lbs? Are you seeing them up on the surface as well?

Yep most have been smaller coho.. At least half have been clipped.. Most have been at 100ft deep but one or two deeper and one around 60ft

Has anyone been fishing Samsun narrows at all or pender island. Making a trip home and definitely getting out fishing on the may long weekend

Has anyone been fishing Samsun narrows at all or pender island. Making a trip home and definitely getting out fishing on the may long weekend

Well there was a 35lber caught off sidney, so I'm sure there's some around those spots as well. I'd sure be curious to hear how you do.

Pender bluffs it is. Didn't really want any confrontation with the new "native closure" up in the tent island area anyway. Nobody will win if they come near my boat. Someone gets hurt and I go to jail. Better to stick near the bluffs at pender especially if big fish are being caught there. Gotta get that derby winner

ahem... been a few fish around Porlier and towards Active...One day its hot then the next day not so much. Got to put the time in to find the fish somedays. Great reports from Thrasher Rk Gabriola area so worth the run if your going to spend a day out there.

I am really looking forward to my permanent move to SSI,…Hope to find a good guide for a few trips to help me lock down a couple of starter locations.

I wanted to head out there tomorrow. Are they any troubles with the whole 'No boating in traditional waters' thing?

I was concerned about the First Nation declaration that they would prohibit access to their waters as well, so I called Chief John Elliot of the Stz'uminus First Nation - left a message and he called me back! We had a good, respectful talk and he explained that their real issue is with DFO and the departments mismanagement of the fishery. [There aren't many sport fishermen I've talked with that don't feel the same way!] He was particularly concerned about the huge number of herring that are being taken from local waters and their access to the Geoduck fishery - among other things. It appears that the 'Declaration' has been made to get DFO's attention so that they will at least discuss management measures with the Stz'uminus.

He made it clear that they were not targeting sports fishermen and that we would not be subject to harassment on the water.

I'll be out fishing the east side of Galiano tomorrow weather permitting.

[To see a map of the blockade area google "blockade b.c.]

Fished porlier Saturday and Sunday. Picked up one on sat about 8 lbs [just after telling the guy in the blue duckworth (nice boat by the way ) that we had none] on a spatterback Hootchie @ 140 ft. Sunday was a better day consistent action from 9 till noon. 1 legal at 9:30 on spatterback hootch @ 140 ft. Released a few undersized. And a few hits that didn't stick. Then at 11:00 picked up this guy. Same gear same depth. And a BEAUTIFUL day on the water. Excellent.image.jpg

Back