2014 Ucluelet Fishing Reports

uclueletcharters

Hi All,

Figured we better get a 2014 Ucluelet fishing report thread started to bring in the new year. Winter Springs are being caught and Ucluelet harbor crabbing has made a real turn around from last years poor crabbing. Lots of feed hanging around but for myself the boats getting it's usual annual maintenance and deep clean but plan to be back in the water soon! 2014 should be another great year based on the last returning cycle. Good luck all! A sticky would be great, regular Ukee reports are just around the corner.

X2 on the sticky would be great! Hoping to get out soooonnnn for some winters :). My philosophy on life is work hard and play harder:cool:. The play harder thing is harder to obtain then one thinks lol. The work hard thing always gets in the way :(.

Ukeecharters
Hi, I've only fished Barley Sound for winters, where are the known spots for Ukee winters?......South Bank? Red Can - general shoreline? Broken Group (e.g. Sail)?
Thanks

Red Can, Great Bear, Long Beach, Swale and Meares Bluff. All these spots are good you may want to keep an eye for birds when enroute can be good fishing along the way. Good luck you will have to update us all on how you made out. Needle fish hoochies and small spoons

Headin out that way early feb. Gonna try and nail some winters...lets hope for great weather!!!!

Hey everyone, well went out last week. Fished the bank north of crow to great bear and to sail. did that for quite a few hours. all different depths, chovies, hooties, spoons and different speeds, NOTHING...the next day went to the red can, tons of huge lings were caught unfortunately had to throw them back. Biggest one approx 30lbs. No salmon though. Next day went to Mayne bay and fished there for 6 hours, nothing...Where the heck are the winter springs????Anyone????

Haven't tried or heard any recent info on that area typically March - May is decent. Really need to find the feed during the winter to find the fish but from here forward the fishery will slowly start to build momentum.

X2 on the sticky would be great! Hoping to get out soooonnnn for some winters :). My philosophy on life is work hard and play harder:cool:. The play harder thing is harder to obtain then one thinks lol. The work hard thing always gets in the way :(.
wont be long now. we will find them winters :)

sorry, no report from me until summer. Just daydreaming about the 3-40 million sockeyes that may pass by the outside to get to the Fraser. Anyone know anything about the "ditch", the deep water between the Ucluelet shore and South Bank, where the trolelrs used to target sockeye back when they could? A person might find that fun on the way in from the banks to finish the day, assuming it opens for sporties in Area 123 later in the summer, of course.

I am not sure about sockeye but I have done well in the ditch for coho in the past. My boat goes over to Ukee the beginning of July. I am already dreaming of offshore, can't wait.
h.e.h.

Asking for some guidance from Ucluelet fishermen. We have a 21 ft Double Eagle w/ GPS but no radar. We fish A LOT, but off the East side of Van Island, (Tel. Cove mostly). This yr. we are also heading to Ucluelet and again to Bamfield only 6 days later. (We live in the Lower Mainland but leave our boat on the Island from June to Labour Day). Would it make more sense to haul out after our Ucl. week-end, drop the boat in Port Alb. and launch from there the following week-end and drive the boat to and from Bamfield or should we leave the boat in Ucl., drive back there by truck, and cross back (and forth) to Bamf. by boat? Thoughts?

Stay in Ukee you will save a lot in fuel not doing the run from Port and fuel is usually cheaper in Ukee than Bam town.

Check your charts and calculate the run distance from PA to Bam vs Uke to Bam. I think you'll find it's significant and will find it's much cheaper from a fuel standpoint to drive from PA to Uke and do your fishing between Uke and Bam.

definately use the boat between ukee and bam. just watch for the fog as it can be thick in trevor channel or imperial and not in the other. cruising between the two is a fishing stop dream come true.

Many thanks for the input!

definately use the boat between ukee and bam. just watch for the fog as it can be thick in trevor channel or imperial and not in the other. cruising between the two is a fishing stop dream come true.

So even tho it would mean boating (from Bam) back to Uke, hauling out there and then driving back to Van from Uke, still the better option?

For sure better!! More time on the boat!! Plan both routes there and back with fishing spots.. Just watch for fog in the channels.

Outside route: great bear, sail rock, cree/effingham, ships, little beale, of course a quick stop at the wall.. Inside route, sechart channel, swale rock, sanford , kirby point, satellite passage and of course bam wall..

Headed to Ukee 2nd week of May will be putting boat in off both Tofino and Ukee, any suggestions on areas for Hali and or Salmon that time of year any suggestions no matter how vague would be appreciated :D
I know its not the best time of year but would be happy to get anything

Back