Victoria 2014 Reports

We had some action most of the morning. Ended up with one around 25-30 lbs. It was a fun trip and I totally recommend taking Wolf up on his SFBC member offer. I have never fished Victoria before and I have never anchored for halibut before. We always drift fish them off Ukee.

Roy gives the full low down on the anchor system. From start to finish. Awesome stuff.

It was really nice meeting islander55 and Justin (rod builder). Different area's are always fun to fish:).

Hungry bugger had a little box crab and some scallops in his gut.

The SFBC offer Wolf put's out there every year is worth it IMO. I had a great time and learned a lot. I met some great folks and we all had a good time fishing and bs'ing. That's what it is all about in my books:cool:.

Thanks again.

Cheer's
Sculpin

Last edited by a moderator:
Roy showed us all a good time, thanks for coming guys. Nice to meet I55, we'll have to do it again.

Roy even let me bring my new rod.

5ysy9ehy.jpg

Roy showed us all a good time, thanks for coming guys. Nice to meet I55, we'll have to do it again.

Thanks for inviting us man. You were the kingpin in the whole thing. It is always fun fishing with you buddy:cool:. I look forward to other fishing trips with you, islander55, and Justin in the future:).

Oh yeah..........crazy eyes!

Looks like a good day. Always enjoy when people post their interesting gut contents (of their fish). Can't resist being a crab nerd. I think that is a spiny lithode crab rather than a box crab. They are related.

We had some action most of the morning. Ended up with one around 25-30 lbs. It was a fun trip and I totally recommend taking Wolf up on his SFBC member offer. I have never fished Victoria before and I have never anchored for halibut before. We always drift fish them off Ukee.

Roy gives the full low down on the anchor system. From start to finish. Awesome stuff.

It was really nice meeting islander55 and Justin (rod builder). Different area's are always fun to fish:).

Hungry bugger had a little box crab and some scallops in his gut.

The SFBC offer Wolf put's out there every year is worth it IMO. I had a great time and learned a lot. I met some great folks and we all had a good time fishing and bs'ing. That's what it is all about in my books:cool:.

Thanks again.

Cheer's
Sculpin

Thinking about going hali fishing tomorrow...tides look good in the am...anyone interested in splitting the cost...would launch out of mcauley point at around 0700...pm me if interested

Is that the Blue Wolf anchored at Oak Bay Marina?
Wow!
It,s like a Rock Star*just moved into the neighbourhood.

Nice acid rap rod,firelight.One of Justin's builds,I presume.Gotta get me a couple of those for sure,down the road a bit.

Is that the Blue Wolf anchored at Oak Bay Marina?
Wow!
It,s like a Rock Star*just moved into the neighbourhood.

I thought I recognized that cleaning table.... used to be friends with those seals when I was a kid....

Now they are the enemy!

Wolf - you are a SURGEON with that hali.....nice work.

DSC_0121.jpg

Fished last Monday (24th) with No Bananas. Anchored near Constance in slightly rough conditions, an managed to get our limit of 4 hali's after deadling with 15+ dogfish. Always have the best time fishing with Trevor. Looking at going out this coming weekend but tides aren't ideal - salmon fishing it is!

Any recent reports? Today looks good for weather, and no kids sports today , so opportunity knocks.

View attachment 11107

Fished last Monday (24th) with No Bananas. Anchored near Constance in slightly rough conditions, an managed to get our limit of 4 hali's after deadling with 15+ dogfish. Always have the best time fishing with Trevor. Looking at going out this coming weekend but tides aren't ideal - salmon fishing it is!

I'll second that we went out with him few years ago. Had a great time out in renfrew on his boat... was out today fishing around Whirl Bay for salmon and anchored for a while for halibut...Kinda slow.

Some buddies and I from the forum took Wolf up on his SFBC spring offer and had a good morning out of Victoria. After following Wolf's advice on the forum (and, ok, I'll admit it, sometimes following his boat in Sooke waters) it was great to finally meet him in person. As expected, he was a real pro, entertaining, and answered (most) of my endless questions -- I learned some things about halibut and even picked up some tips about salmon, too. Good times, good laughs, a full pot of crabs, and a nice 34 pound halibut that made good eats tonight. Thanks, Roy.

Had a good day off Constance today...fished springs but they were small, no luck with the 20 plus pounders a few of the guys have been getting lately and fished halibut later...got two chickens and released this one.
A couple of buddies were telling me that they heard that a long liner took 120 halibut on one set recently in the Race area. Can anyone confirm that. He will take a big bite out of our early halibut success! I know we had the commercial guys working the whole area from Sidney to the Race last year. Would be curious to know exactly how many they took, probably will include this one we released.
IMG_0080.jpg

Some buddies and I from the forum took Wolf up on his SFBC spring offer and had a good morning out of Victoria. After following Wolf's advice on the forum (and, ok, I'll admit it, sometimes following his boat in Sooke waters) it was great to finally meet him in person. As expected, he was a real pro, entertaining, and answered (most) of my endless questions -- I learned some things about halibut and even picked up some tips about salmon, too. Good times, good laughs, a full pot of crabs, and a nice 34 pound halibut that made good eats tonight. Thanks, Roy.

He's a great guy and his boat kicks azz! I love the hand warmer :p;):cool:. Nice to hear you had a good trip. Thanks for sharing :).

Cheers,
Sculpin

Nothing huge, but we take what comes to us. Went out with my lady and our little girl on Sunday. Went through a few doggies and some bait stealing little fish before getting our hali's. Ended up with a double header and our little girl was feeling a little under the weather with the bump in the ocean, so my wife was slowly bringing up the hali with one arm, with baby in the other arm. After I got mine in the boat, I had to snap a photo before helping her out.

66865_10153982285650133_2461624571485513836_n.jpg

1901157_10153982285455133_4780165166886500008_n.jpg

1601050_10153982285065133_8498170406555865410_n.jpg

You are a lucky man Dave. Having a spouse who can balance the right priorities is a great catch! Nice halibut too. Setting a good example for the little one

Out with Blue Wolf yesterday-got a few :cool:

55#
IMGP3428_zps9d0368f8.jpg

IMGP3429_zps9e144f85.jpg

IMGP3430_zpsd557473c.jpg

IMGP3432_zpsb7af8130.jpg

Turns out a Sea Lion liked the look of those fish in the water and while our backs were turned he chomped on the biggest one luckily all the stomping around we were doing aboard the boat must have scared him off.
IMGP3467_zps97a6041f.jpg

A beautiful day in the neighbourhood
IMGP3434_zps5e897181.jpg

Mount Baker in the distance dressed in snow
IMGP3455_zps2581c20c.jpg

IMGP3456_zps577c4bf8.jpg

Once the Halibut were done we started on the Salmon
IMGP3453_zpse202c818.jpg

Seals like Salmon too though
IMGP3458_zps6a9c4d60.jpg

IMGP3459_zps75efd70f.jpg

Mmmm good!