Victoria 2014 Reports

I guess that link is more for Constance and this one is more for Pedder Bay
http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/5225.html?y=2014&m=3&d=8?
still looks good but with obviously higher currents

This is for Race Rocks, which is unique to that area. It could be going 4kts at race rocks and 1.5kts at constance.

You want to use JDF east it better suited for constance:
Juan%20de%20Fuca%20East.png

While we are sharing, does anyone have a good current table for Darcy Island / Zero Rock Light area out in Sidney?

Hali friendly currents and wind tomorrow.I might try to rearrange some work and carpe diem

So I got to work, my 2 big meetings were both cancelled due to others, so I took a vacation day at 9 am and went in search of halibut. There was a few trailers at cattle point and the old timers were heading for Haro Strait. I anchored by some structure just out of the shipping lanes off Oak Bay Flats, then drifted off the east end of constance in about 6 different places, then drifted around some structure by Discovery Island. Kicked back with a cold one and worked on my tan and watched the porpoise show.
No dogfish, no halibut, just one decent lingcod sent back.
No signs of any bait or life whatsoever on the sounder, but a large group of porpoises feeding east of Constance to keep me company.
Nobody at the ramp for reports and no signs of carcasses being cleaned.

Hit the water for a couple hours today to try out some new gear and experience the lovely Wet Coast and picked up a nice 12lbs winter spring! Aside from that one it was super slow. Caught on white Titan spoon...don't really remember what it is called, just white with scales. The fisheries dude said that it was super slow and not a lot of fish we're coming in today.

fishcrop.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice catch. It's great when you find yourself in the right place at the right time.

I was feeling like we were going to get skunked...so that fish restored my faith!

It is also to get one a bit bigger than the 8 lbs we have been getting, a 12 makes you remember how awesome those bad boys are in the summer. Gets you all juiced up for the next time out.

Anyone getting Halibut in the last little while. My wife has put in an order...so I better get some Hali fishing skillz!

Rainy day on the water out Esquimalt anglers, three spring in the boat at the end of the day, but nothing of size. Didn't see much bait in the water on the sonar. Packed it in around two when the rolling swells started to come in.

Boat I was fishing with came in with a couple of 6-8 pounders...looking good!

Overall a good day with the exception of my kripple K...always hate it when you lose the ones that are hard to replace!

Fished out of Esquimalt Anglers yesterday.
We landed 9 springs on coho killers and squirts of which we kept 4 hatchery fish between 4 and 8 lbs.
One had a very large 8 inch herring inside, so it might be worth trying some larger spoons
in the next few weeks, especially if you are seeing the herring staging up on your sounder.

Back