Victoria 2014 Reports

Fished out of Esquimalt Anglers 11:30-2:30. Slower than a couple weeks ago but the fish seem a bit bigger. Spoons worked best for us. Sure blew up for an hour or so, otherwise it was pretty nice.

Launched at Esq and headed away from the fleet and the seals towards the lagoons. Dropped 2 traps and trolled with the tide to Witty's Lagoon, then return trip. 10-2pm largest fish by the lagoon around 6-7lbs sealed, but let him chew it off to get the gear back. No more seals after that, but picked up another half dozen 3-4lbs with various glow/haze/chair hootchies in 120-180ft bouncing bottom. Gravel pit, Albert head, and Witty's Lagoon all had some action. Kept one for dinner with the crabs.

Out yakkin in front of Esquimalt lagoon from 1-4 for nada.
Didn't hear too much on the radio either.
T2

Out with my godson all day. He just passed his boating license so I suspect that my boat driving days are done. Lost at least 10, released 5, kept 4. 6lb 7lb 7lb 10lb. No seals. Saw most boats catching and keeping fish. Fishing off Saxe and MacCaulay. Fished the bottom in 150' to 170'. Want to know what we were using catch the fish trailing my white flasher and bloody nose teaser for anchovy. Hoochy and spoon worked well also.

Had the pleasure of spending some R&D time on the water yesterday to find a few fish here and there (Clover to Flagpole with a few little ones in the harbour mouth). Had a beauty of a day with Trevor from No Bananas. Unfortunately the seals got the better of us many a salmon but the beer and strongbow was cold. Today is last day for the The Local Salmon Superbowl signup. Tix are available at Outfitters and for those interested, there are 19 boats paid as of the time of this thread. The weather will be epic, fishing be fun, beer ice cold and food to fill our bellies!

Out this morning on the water front, beauty day, pretty much summer out there. Got 4 fish to the boat, brightest about 8. 150-200. Green glow gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for taking me along today, kayladog! It was a fantastic day just out in front with plenty action up to about 1 PM. Lots of little springs but we found a nice 10# beside a couple 5 pounders. Warm, sunny, the lightest wind - man, tell that someone from Winnipeg or Regina - it's end of January!!!! Bait and hardware worked, bait seemed to attract a little more quantity while hardware caught the quality today. Thanks again!

a.jpg

g.jpg

h.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We trolled in front of Macauley and the Harbour mouth today and found some keepers too. No real size to them though. Can't beat the weather though! Lucky, no seal incident either even though there were a few around.

Yes it was a beauty day out there. Feel sorry for easterners...NOT! lol. We only saw a couple seals off Esquimalt, but there were lots of boats in the area so less chance of getting singled out. Sounds like the farther east you go towards waterfront/clover pt guys are getting sealed more.

On the flats 11:30-1:30 nothing for me. Someone at the ramp said they saw one salmon brought in. Still got 4 crabs for dinner.

Went out saturday as well, waterfront, deep!! Really bumpy most of the time, saw one other boat, we kept 1 5#, and released a couple others, 1 to a seal who took it on bottom, then came all the way to the surface. Got the gear back at least.

The guys who were out in the morning said it was super nasty. By the time we were out there in the afternoon it was fine, but with a cold wind. We were ont the flats and I would not have wanted to be outside discovery, it looked white out there

Good to hear , thanks for the report.
was it lumpy out there ?

Looks ugly for quite a while as the "pineapple express" brings SE wind and rain for at least a week :(

Thats okay. I,m thinking that this gives the winter springs a chance to get all fat and lazy while the wind blows.
I,m going to give them a nice surprise wed or thursday

Seals were hungry yesterday, lost 2 out of 3 fish to them.
Managed a 10lb hatch with one large herring in it.
overall, pretty slow.

Back