O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

we were going to try Roger Curtis this morning but changed mind because of westerly chop.
so we dragged around thru freighters , lots of birds , no fish , then over to westvan shore down and back , no fish......
had the good worms out and new boat show reels.....NADA !!!

lines down 8am-2pm, all around van harbor, couple shakers and one good hit (popped the clip) but my seal buddy decided he needed it more...

Made it out this morning. Dropped the prawn gear then headed to Tunstall. About 5 boats working the area. Had a decent fish on but spat the hook 1/2 way up. Spent another hour there and nada. So moved to Hutt. Jason A and another Bon Chovy boat was there. Jason got one and we got nada again. Pulled the pin after anther hour and ran for the prawn traps. A little over 200 prawns... Decided we would give the cap a couple passes on the way back to the Marina. And again Nada.

Made it out this morning. Dropped the prawn gear then headed to Tunstall. About 5 boats working the area. Had a decent fish on but spat the hook 1/2 way up. Spent another hour there and nada. So moved to Hutt. Jason A and another Bon Chovy boat was there. Jason got one and we got nada again. Pulled the pin after anther hour and ran for the prawn traps. A little over 200 prawns... Decided we would give the cap a couple passes on the way back to the Marina. And again Nada.
Did the same today with pretty much same result, other then some pretty nasty water tried to tuck in close on the east side of bowen as we were headed north, took a few biggies over the bow and even had water spraying up over the hardtop at times:eek:
once we got around the west side it was beauty. put on quite a few miles no fish, full pulls of prawns tho
and a nice flat sunny finish to the day, didnt find bait till we rounded Roger Curtis

we fished a bit all over today
grace just on the high morning tide
then ran over to the waterfall looking for bait with no joy so
headed into tunstall bay done quite a few loops with only two other boats there but no hits
marked a few bits of bait but no hits
ran back to gibsons gap and picked up a small shaker
after pulling the gear

seen loads of fry in the upper layers of water with the gulls picking up lots of the but no signs of mr salmon
outlook looks like it going to get cold.......
out on buddies hydra sports with twins

running 4 today with flashers spoons flaming hans army truck
hootchies green/glow splatter's 80-170 on the riggers

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn I gotta get out there soon.
Cmon man Whats the holdup??
get out there your missing all the fun and wide open waters with minimal traffic
Best time of year:D

Cmon man Whats the holdup??
get out there your missing all the fun and wide open waters with minimal traffic
Best time of year:D
I know, but I won't bore the forum with a lame post about finishing my basement den, blah, blah,blah.......

damn, I just did bore the forum with that post.....................

I don't suppose anyone would be willing to share some crabbing tips and trolling tips with a newbie? last three weekends not so much as a bite... and no keeper crabs either. Rig is Deep 6 divers with 11" highliners and herrings / cookies and cream spoons / glow hoochies bait.... thanks in advance!

fishabout.....I did respond to your PM.

The divers are likely the problem as you're not going to get down deep enough with them. For the most part this time of the year the fish are caught right on bottom which can be that 100' plus range, a diver just won't get that deep. In saying that....you just never know what you may luck into though should you find some suspended bait. If it makes you feel any better we've only managed a few undersized right on bottom so far in the past couple of weeks; the winter fishery can be finicky. We were marking some suspended bait 2 weekends ago not much more than 30' down....so if you can find some of that, work that area as there may be some fish up higher at depths your diver will get down to.

Crab I mentioned in my PM. ;) This is one of the better times in the year for crab out there as the commercial guys aren't cleaning up. Don't be afraid to use a lot of bait....I have always found more bait turns up better results. I go to IGA and buy packages of fresh chicken/turkey backs and necks...generally a full package goes into each trap.

You are going to find a lot of people tight lipped on exact crab locations as posting them up on a forum for anyone to read will see your area oddly increasing in the number of floats. ;)

Thanks for the tips Pippen! Downriggers are on the shopping list, actually just posted on here incase anyone has an affordable pair of Scotty's they don't need, I figured Id try with divers meantime. On the subject of Crab I've been using chicken thighs from T&T but with minimal success. Appreciate the cautiousness around locations and indeed advice on keeping watch for light fingers.

Chicken thighs are too good for eating?? Save your money and buy backs and necks, lots of grocery stores sell them as people buy them to make soup/stock. Have never had a problem finding them and you can usually get more than enough for 2 traps for about 5-6 bucks. ;)

Crabby hint-Make the marrow leak!! Break some bones! Fresh!! Not previously frozen!!

I don't suppose anyone would be willing to share some crabbing tips and trolling tips with a newbie? last three weekends not so much as a bite... and no keeper crabs either. Rig is Deep 6 divers with 11" highliners and herrings / cookies and cream spoons / glow hoochies bait.... thanks in advance!

Try motor mooching with cut plug and 8oz weight, concentrate between Cap and ambleside. Slow troll bring the line to 45deg. angle, then put in neutral and allow the lines to drop almost straight up and down, and repeat. Rising tide and high slack. Start at 20 pulls, when the line is straight up and down you should hit bottom when tight to the marker.

Back