Okanagan Lake Sticky

No Gerrard Rainbows. Just nice wild Rainbows, but catching one of this size is very rare, the lake is so big, but they are in there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice fish

I did a tour of the Summerland Hatchery last year and they inform us that OK lake is not stock because it can reproduce enough trout on its own. After fishing OK lake the last two years and fishing in the derby I’d disagree with them.

That size of fish is rare now a days and from what I was told the saying for fishing OK lake is “that for every 7 hours of fishing time you put in your average catch weight = 1 lb , so after fishing 21 hours (3 days) you might get a 3 lb trout. Last year’s derby winner was a 27.5”, 2nd place 26”? fish out of 200+ ticket sold.

That is a nice fish and the last fish that size was caught by a guy know as Okanagan Jim a few years ago at the same time of year

Looks like he was fishing near Rattle Snake Island. Last year I saw a guy out there fishing the same area numerous times, so this May and June I think I will focus more time in the deeper water just off the island. Maybe I can catch and release one of these big boys/girls.

Ya Jim's fish was a lot bigger at 26lbs, Jim's was caught in April both were caught on hair

That was one big fish Jim caught, I never saw it except for on the web.
I’ have fished with Jim on my boat and me on his over the last two years and I’ve learned a lot from him specially, knots to use when using hair and how to get it to work with the correct action.
Now I just have to have some luck and put in the time. I will be in West Kelowna in May and June and just maybe it will be my turn.

Ya he is a good fisherman he puts in his time out there, he not scared to run big gear in search of big fish.

Ya he is a good fisherman he puts in his time out there, he not scared to run big gear in search of big fish.

That's the key, he puts his time in to get results. It's like fishing for Steelhead not Salmon, you have to find them. I sold my boat because this lake is so slow. If I lived closer to Mable or Shuswap, I would still own it.

Ya Jim's fish was a lot bigger at 26lbs, Jim's was caught in April both were caught on hair

Same results for us back in the 90's and early 2000's. All are high teens up to 20 or so where caught in April and first half of May also. Most caught on Bucktails, and apex a not far but still somewhat distant second.

That is a nice fish no matter wen or on what is was caught.

Was out yesterday, I had one good hit but missed it due to operator error

It hit my old faithful light blue Mac's Squid hard peeling out about 40ft of line, setup was, 350ft and 3oz weight at 3.0 to 3.5 mph

Unfortunately due to ill health not long after the hit, I started to feel crappy so we went home, will be out again as soon as possible

Well, finally managed into some fish today. Biggest was 4lbs. All up top. 2 on a purple and white plug and 1 on a chartreuse and chrome coyote spoon. South of the bridge to gelletly bay.

9C4C2996-713B-4433-8098-A988EF9834D1_zpsabpnevcx.jpg

I think that with Kokanee fishing pretty much closed on Wood lake, the Kokanee on Okanagan Lake will soon be depleted again and the size of the Rainbows will continue to decline.
The Kokanee catch limit on Okanagan Lake needs to be reduced

Right now well all summer the is a survey going on Okanagan lake. They have a 19' harbercraft and they will boat up to you when your trolling and ask you some questions. It looks like the b.c government is going to spend some money to help improve the rainbow fishing on Okanagan lake. Also there is talks of a Kokanee hatchery in Penticton so hopefully things are going to improve. Osoyoos lake fishing is really going good right now

Thats good information JAC, thanks
Its good to hear that the gov is going to try and improve the Okanagan Lake fishery there no reason why this lake could not be a world class fishing destination, we just need the right people with appropriate funding

I believe the guy from the MOE is named Jason. I've been fortunate to have talked to him a few times now on okanagan and at kal lake. Super nice guy and always eager for any info you can give him. I was out on Ok yesterday for a few hours and managed 2 small rainbows then as soon as I found out the right combination to produce fish, I got blown off the lake. Go figure!

I think the 'kokanee' hatchery you are referring to in Penticton might be the sockeye hatchery that ONA is hoping to build?

I believe the guy from the MOE is named Jason. I've been fortunate to have talked to him a few times now on okanagan and at kal lake. Super nice guy and always eager for any info you can give him. I was out on Ok yesterday for a few hours and managed 2 small rainbows then as soon as I found out the right combination to produce fish, I got blown off the lake. Go figure!

I am going out this afternoon, wondering what the right combination is?

I think the 'kokanee' hatchery you are referring to in Penticton might be the sockeye hatchery that ONA is hoping to build?

The sockeye hatchery is on the Okanagan river down stream of the dam on Okanagan lake. The Kokanee hatchery will be in penticton also but on the lake. My buddy know Paul askley he us the fish biologist in this area that how are heard about this

The sockeye hatchery is on the Okanagan river down stream of the dam on Okanagan lake. The Kokanee hatchery will be in penticton also but on the lake. My buddy know Paul askley he us the fish biologist in this area that how are heard about this

I believe the Kokanee hatchery has been in Penticton for many years, but closed for wha ever poor excuse our elected officials thought up at the time

Ya hopefully they get some more Kokanee for the trout to eat, I could care less about catching them just need to feed the bows.

Back