mooching reel review?

islander55

hey there im wanting to buy a new tophy reel or a northcoast repela reel for mooching, i thought ide be best to ask some questions and do some research on them before i purchase but does any one on this forum have any of those reel?, do you like them?

Depends on your budget....If you are not looking to spend lots, I'd look at the new Amundson reel. Checked it out at the boat show and it looks nice. I had the North Coast reel. Nothing special. Upgraded to the Amundson Trend TMX4. Much nicer.

I would go for the Trpohy over the Rapala any day. I had a Rapala and it had serious line creep issues and a very loud clicker so I got rid of it.

As Wolf, he likes hes Trophy reels. Like Dave S. says also check out the Amundson too.

I have 2 trophies and I like them fine, the Amundson looks nice. These are all good mid priced reels.

well i have given my amundsons 3X a fair bash since the boat show (nikka) when i got them $199+ tax
have had a few issues but have been able to sort them out
mainly the out going clicker coming loose or very tight to let go when resetting the drag for the down rigger
other than that and a buddies loose handle they have performed well
fish to tyee size this year with them so thats my take

Peetz, fun, enough challenge to enhance the experience.
Guides have different needs than rec fishers.

Save your money and pick up a couple old school Shimano 4000GT. (if you can find them)
No maintenance, great product

I have a couple of Trophy's and they aren't bad but I will be upgrading to Islanders at some point.

Have had a bit of frustration with them and the drag, especially when "newbs" are trying to use them putting down the riggers; drag type control.

I don't mind them but have had the handles fall off a few times while fighting fish and despite using different adhesives to keep them from coming loose it is an occasional issue. I have had mine for 3 years or so and they may have addressed things with the spring/drag sensitivity and the handles but I am not sure.

I have used a Rapala and from my personal opinion I would get a Trophy over one of them.

Trophy makes a good reel but you won't like the small handles or super sensitive drag.

I'd be patient and save up for a MR3

I bought 2 of the new Amundson moochers and for just under $200 a piece I find them an even better deal than the Trophys. Also you can change them to left hand cranking which I need. They are certainly not as tough built as an Islander and are not anodized but painted but the mechanics are smooth and they are the best of an MR2 and MR3 (left/right hand and free spool).

X2, probably the best mooching reel ever made for all round value and performance.

X3 i have had a 2000gt for years and love it, this year i added a 4000gt and am having just as much fun with it, the one way clutch is awesome and IMHO you cannot buy a better real for the same money.

Save your money and pick up a couple old school Shimano 4000GT. (if you can find them)
No maintenance, great product

Save even more of your money and get the Daiwa M-1 mooching reels. Excellent and about $60 new if you watch. We find them to be very reliable.

After using all of these reels excepting the Amundson, I'll still vote Shimano.
all the aluminum reels I've used have had some degree of line creep, as well as drag issues.

Mooching reels in a boat take such a beating, by me and friends that I fish with, that I just can't see spending 10 times the cost of my Daiwa on an Islander. And while I've never fished with an Islander, I just don't see it being that much better performing (if it is at all) to justify ten times the cost. My son and I have battled and won against some monster springs with our Daiwa's. We've also lost a few, but I feel certain that having Islander's wouldn't have changed anything. But it's your money....

Back