Thunderjet

Confused

I am looking at buying a Thunderjet in the next 6-8 months and have been doing some research. Is there anyone here that has, or does, own one similiar to the Chinook or Tyee model, or equivelant? Experiences good or bad? I have been out in a friends a few times and am quite impressed, but he has only had his for a year or so, with no problems I might add. Any input anyone might have regarding these boats would be much apprecitaed. Will be used primarily out of Prince Rupert.

As a side note, I have been corresponding with a dealer in Oregon for the most part, and will most likely purchase from there as that is where my friend bought his, and he had a very good experience. What is the reason for the major price descrepancy between south of the border and here. It is not even close. I would much rather purchase local and have told the local dealer so if he could get within 5 grand, but it is more like 20,000 difference! Am I just not a good negotiator???

Anyway, thanks for the feedback in advance.

Chuck

Ok. My opinion I siglers marine are lying thieves. And once they get you committed they add all there charges. They don't care about the customer and there won't be any warranty. Trust me bin there done that. Give John at river city marine or Sherwood marine at pricing a boat. Either will look after you. They are great boats. The rigging river city does is pretty damn sweet. The Canadian models have little upgrades thatake them better suited to the west coast. Remember buying a boat from the us. You will not receive warranty in Canada unless you purchase a warranty card. But I can bet no dealer will touch your boat. And you will be force to take it back to Portland.

Ok. My opinion I siglers marine are lying thieves. And once they get you committed they add all there charges. They don't care about the customer and there won't be any warranty. Trust me bin there done that. Give John at river city marine or Sherwood marine at pricing a boat. Either will look after you. They are great boats. The rigging river city does is pretty damn sweet. The Canadian models have little upgrades thatake them better suited to the west coast. Remember buying a boat from the us. You will not receive warranty in Canada unless you purchase a warranty card. But I can bet no dealer will touch your boat. And you will be force to take it back to Portland.

Too bad you had a bad experience with Sigler's. I know three people who have bought Luxor offshores from them and had zero problems, the price was the price, and they said it was a good experience.

I have luxor i bought from siglers at the portland boat show this year.Never had any extra charges added at all. The price i paid was the price we agreed on.The boat was outfitted exactly the same as the one i looked at sherwood, except it came with a 140 instead of a 115,had a tandem trailer with upgraded winch and had all the little things included to rig the boat,they even included a 7 pin to 5 pin adapter for my truck,and all for $7000 less.

As for warranty,the boat is covered in canada and the motor i registered thru my place in the US,so it can be worked on in canada.I also had a couple of small warranty issues phoned siglers they sent me the parts with money for return postage of the bad ones.So if thats bad service i'll take it any day.

Thanks for the replies. Would like to hear some feedback from some others that actually own one of these.

Cletus, which model did you buy?

If you want to take your money to the US don't post in a BC forum - my opinion and I might get flamed but this kind of thinking is not in the best interest of our province.

I bought a Thunderjet at Sherwoods and am happy - did I pay more, maybe. But I'm willing to bet it wasn't that much when you factor in all the BS associated with purchasing a US boat/motor.

I'm sure the local guys would be elated if you pulled up with your US boat and were asking for work to be completed.

Steel you should not be flamed for saying that. I had my boat built on Vancouver Island and supported many businesses in BC to equip the boat and I am proud of it. For those who do not it is their right to choose where they spend their money, I am ok with that. :)

I find it very hard to understand how there would be $20 grand difference in price for the same boat between Canada and the US. The Thunderjet is made in the US so there is no duty thanks to NAFTA - and the dollar difference certainly isn't that much right now. If you look at other US manufacturers/dealers (eg Striper, Bayliner) you will find the only real price difference is dollar related. I'd suggest you either aren't really comparing apples to apples or the Canadian dealer is really jacking the price for some reason.

I find it very hard to understand how there would be $20 grand difference in price for the same boat between Canada and the US. The Thunderjet is made in the US so there is no duty thanks to NAFTA - and the dollar difference certainly isn't that much right now. If you look at other US manufacturers/dealers (eg Striper, Bayliner) you will find the only real price difference is dollar related. I'd suggest you either aren't really comparing apples to apples or the Canadian dealer is really jacking the price for some reason.
I'm looking at a $50,000 aluminum boat in the US, same boat up here is 63,000. I'm all for keeping money in Canada, but that's a big difference. I also bought my camper in the US and saved the same amount of money. Not sure who is pocketing all the extra money.

If you want to take your money to the US don't post in a BC forum - my opinion and I might get flamed but this kind of thinking is not in the best interest of our province.

I bought a Thunderjet at Sherwoods and am happy - did I pay more, maybe. But I'm willing to bet it wasn't that much when you factor in all the BS associated with purchasing a US boat/motor.

I'm sure the local guys would be elated if you pulled up with your US boat and were asking for work to be completed.

So are you going to help the op out and tell him about your boat and what you think of it?

So are you going to help the op out and tell him about your boat and what you think of it?

nothing more than I am happy, as stated.

What boat doesn't have it's nuances? same debate as buying a Ford or Chev.

Best piece of advice - go and look at one. If you know what you're looking at you will see quality. The internet won't buy a boat for you.

FYI - Sherwood sells both TJ and Hewes.

I buy and sell lots of boat its far cheaper to buy boats out of the states and its pretty easy to do. I can understand the canadian boat costing more when we had a poor dollar but there are boat sitting on lots up here that were bought with dollars better then par. Craigslist Wenatchee has a 2007 custom weld outboard boat that is very nice and looks mint for 33K that is a good deal. Also there is a used silver streak on seattle craigslist for 27500 that is a great deal also.

Buying in the states is a no brainer until dealers and OEM's get their act together and stop the outright gouging.

I bought a 20' luxor,not the offshore model.Steel dreamin it's none of your business where i choose to spend my money,a member asked a question and i answered it.Don't think i didn't try to buy local,but i don't like getting gouged.

I bought a used t-jet out of Portland last year, private sale, and I love it. The issue is supply and demand. Way more boats down there for sale, new or used. The savings are hard to ignore in my case the savings more than paid for outfitting the boat and rigging it the way I wanted. Pretty sure Trotac and Sherwood appreciated the business.

If you buy a boat down south make sure you get a detailed bill of sale, the Oregon state required bill of ale doesn't have prices on it. With the detailed bill of sale make sure the trailer and boat are itemized separately. Importing it will be no problem and will only take about 20 minutes.

"The issue is supply and demand".......

There'd be way more demand up here if they came back to planet earth and dropped the prices.

Canadian new boat prices are ridiculous.
Canadian used boat prices are ridiculous.

Free trade or not....I think it was noted on a documentary on t.v. that we pay on average 14% more up here for the same item sold in the USA.

Regardless of the current status of our dollar.

Stuff up here in many cases goes for the same price as when our dollar was only worth 65 cents US.

I bought a 20' luxor,not the offshore model.Steel dreamin it's none of your business where i choose to spend my money,a member asked a question and i answered it.Don't think i didn't try to buy local,but i don't like getting gouged.

I wasn't suggesting it's my business but certainty not going to augment your purchasing deliberations if I disagree with you tact.

"The issue is supply and demand".......

There'd be way more demand up here if they came back to planet earth and dropped the prices.

Canadian new boat prices are ridiculous.
Canadian used boat prices are ridiculous.

Free trade or not....I think it was noted on a documentary on t.v. that we pay on average 14% more up here for the same item sold in the USA.

Regardless of the current status of our dollar.

Stuff up here in many cases goes for the same price as when our dollar was only worth 65 cents US.

Yes, and lets take a look at the US economy shall we...

I could goto work in five minutes in northern BC for a very handsome salary - try finding the same across the border.

Granted, the model isn't perfect but this mentality isn't enhancing it.

I m not a millionaire so I spend my money where it goes the farthest. Plus a strong US economy is good for Canada so just think you helping out Canadians too. It's true the supply and demand is the reason boats are cheaper down there. Everything is cheaper in Washington short of medical insurance. To each there own!!

Many many people buy there toy's South of the border. I don't blame them. On the same hand I don't see a whole lot of toy shops up here going out of business. I have actually seen a few on the Island expand. In the down turn no less!!

Back