Bamfield/Poett Nook 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
FD

Best of the season to you !

Question...as we plan a trip to Bamfield this August ( knowing it is a ways off ) !

If we drop our boat in Port Alberni at noon....and run down to Bamfield....are we likely to be going into the wind/waves ( and get pounded ) as we make the run ?....or will we more likely to be running with the wind/waves ?

We usually make the run before 7 am ( and wind/waves are not an issue ) .....but this year we cannot leave PA until noon or so.

Please let me know

Thanks FD

Cloud

Hey Cloud

i run a 24 striper , i usually just go when time allows me , never had an issue , especially in the summer months ,
try ta head up with a buddy boat for the run ,if its a little lumpy , slow down , enjoy the ride.. most likely running against the waves on the way out !!
you'll be fine , the inlet is quite busy that time of year , help is not far off if needed..

gd lk.. maybe well cath up ta ya there !!

off ta fish with the Mills boys as we speak , flat calm out here today..

later

fd

Last edited by a moderator:
anytime after 11 a.m.,, and expect a pounding as you head out the inlet. not everyone has a big glass luxury pimp style fishn boat like FD

Thanks for the info fellas ....appreciated ! Have a great winter/spring. i hope to get out fishing this weekend as well.....off the Victoria waterfront. Cloud

Ya it was pretty good!

Croat will update with the photos.

Windy afternoons Cloud. Slow down and turn on your wiper!

Hey Cloud

i run a 24 striper , i usually just go when time allows me , never had an issue , especially in the summer months ,
try ta head up with a buddy boat for the run ,if its a little lumpy , slow down , enjoy the ride.. most likely running against the waves on the way out !!
you'll be fine , the inlet is quite busy that time of year , help is not far off if needed..

gd lk.. maybe well cath up ta ya there !!

off ta fish with the Mills boys as we speak , flat calm out here today..

later

fd

And if you going out yourself from PA to Bam and you have a good kicker , even if the main stops the wind and a good kicker will get you safely back to China Creek or Port , one good thing about a earlie leave from Port with a inflow in the afternoon LOL

just packin up " Elmo" : )......
what a weekend , thx ta both of you and Jerry again !!
dam we were dialed in , way cool,
little incident regarding a log boom on the way home Jeff,this one was not so funny , atleast at the time lol.. , were fine lets just say..
post a report and pics .... in a day or 2,,

later

fd

Ya it was pretty good!

Croat will update with the photos.

Windy afternoons Cloud. Slow down and turn on your wiper!

OH OH! This sounds like it could have gone a lot worse?

Waiting with interest to see the report. For now I am glad you are ok.

I know its off topic a bit but can anybody tell me if your allowed or not allowed to have camp fires at Poets Nook.My buddy is busting my balls to get a seasonal spot there and then so will they but they said there's only one main fire area .This may be deal breaker for me if I cannot have a camp fire.The wife kids and all my buddies love the fire at camp.My bud is calling the owner to see what up as they have been going there a long time.

Thanks

No fires. Just community pit... The rule sucks but makes sense as the nook is known for quiet nights and early risers.

That's the unwritten rule anywhere in these camp spots though and just because there's no fire doesn't mean people will be quite.LOL What about propane fires and or coal bbqs >Also what if I want to stay in a wall tent with a wood burning stove?.

lol

wrong camp..x2 with Trophywife , no private fires , its a quiet camp for sure ,
no exceptions , they will boot ya out if you get complaints.
mostly larger rv's and trailers theses days it seems, weekend campers , tenters etc.. mostly seasonal now ..
pretty sure there is a waiting list on seasonal as well , call Marg at the Nanaimo office

gd lk

fd

LOL yeah I'm in bed by 10 up at 4 everyday have a 36 foot Seneca just weighing out all my options LOL . My bud has been going for 15-20 years and know the owners well. Where not into loud people as where I stay in hardy most regulars that stay a month or longer are 70+ years old and love us.

Thanks for all the help.

ok , little late...

so , great outting last week for 5 days , Weather was decent , almost zero wind , we fished , crabbed , prawned , beachcombed , visited west Bamtown ,
Crabbing is still pretty ummm , terrible actually , BUT , prawning was excellent again , but , the highlight was the fishin this time ... , in 3 hours i think we hit 10 fish , bonked a few for the Barbq , 5-10lbs , all on the bottom on glow needles , Surfline was the ticket , pretty flat day , Jerry n Marco handled most of the action , skippered by the Jew himself , i think i spent most of the time malesting his Dog "Maybe' yes thats what he named him !! might have been the offspring of his other Dog , there not sure , so " Maybe" it was !! lol...my pal..., !!

bit of a scare on the ride home that night ,pitch black we put the boat onto a VERY LARGE logboom , wasnt there earlier !!! I swear ; )... after getting the boat off the bloody logs , then changin my shortz , we laughed and cried for the next 3 days , my gut still hurts,,, in all seriousness , were very lucky , scrapes n bruizes , minor damage to the boat , lesson learned , SLOW DOWN in the dark..

anways , was great hangin with my good pals , Jerry Jeff , we miss ya already ! that was f'n fun man...

hers sum shotz for you shut-ins..

Merry Xmas

fd

our new LARGER Docks at the Nook

IMG_0942_zpsfb636c2e.jpg

still attached ta the boat under the mud lol

IMG_0921_zps9411c983.jpg

found this on the captains seat ??

IMG_0919_zps10992759.jpg

Jerry Jeff Marco

IMG_0933_zps281abcc7.jpg

Status