Hunting 2012

wolf

Well guys whats the scoop whos all back and what did any of you get???

Personally just got home from up north and it was HOT and smoky from forest fires.
We managed to get our 2 moose one 5x6 and a tiny 2 pt as we went to get 2 bulls and werent fussy LOL
better eating anyways, did see a cranker I called in at the edge of a lake/swamp/cut block but came from a long way away and just couldnt get close enough before it got to dark and wasnt there the next day :(.

saw about 20 deer not 4 pts and only 1 bear? weird as last year we saw a bear around every corner. dont know where they all went to???

next I may go on an island elk hunt again and then to sask of course...

Photos to follow......

Wolf

What do you mean you might go for island elk again!?? I only ask because I thought they were a once in a lifetime LEH win. I'm guessing there's other ways to get access to them..... guided hunt?

Sounds like you had a successful trip! looking forward to pictures.

NOT me i have had my hunting buddies who get draws 7 in total and been on 5 of the hunts and one of them got another 1 this year, so i may go as the "gopher" once again ive been putting in for 23 years and never been drawn!!!!

wolf

where is the elk draw for wolf as my wife has got hers in 1-09 got zero on my moose trip didn't even see on to hot way to hot

I might have time tomorrow night..(kids B-day) to show you how to make them big..:D

White river sayward area dont know the number believe its 1-10 was there 3 or 4 years ago got a nice 6x5.
And yes it was gross hot up there and the smoke was really bad sometimes we could really only see for about 500 yds then the next day it was like majic gone, i really dont know how people that smoke do it my eyes and throat hurt and well eeeeewww yuck LOL LOL

wolf

Goin up to Prince George for moose in a couple days for 2 weeks,
Then helpin a buddy get a Elk in Egmont (home town) should be able to get him into a few bulls.. lucky bugger!! :p

Good luck to all this year and be SAFE out there!

Looking like I'll be hunting vicariously through all of you again this year...

Finally done with fishing for a spell, and can get around to thinking about hunting...

Major Plans won't start to unfold until November. Actually drew a couple tags (UNREAL!!) this year, a muley and a group moose with my Brother (haven't been able to hunt together for almost 20 years!!) and a Buddy from The Rock. All in Kamloops area, immature moose also open for 1/2 our season (all of November). Have a good Buddy in Kamloops who's insisting on helping out with the slobber-noses, then taking me to tag a cat with the bow immediately after. Then a quick run towards Westbank to hook up with another for the late season muley (rut) bow hunt.

To pass away the time until then, I'm chasing a pretty good 4 point blacktail, and his HUGE Non-Typical Buddy around with the pointy sticks...

All in all should prove out to be a Fun & Interesting fall! :D

Congrats on the moose Roy! Hoping we get "Lucky" too!

Cheers,
Nog

Well guys whats the scoop whos all back and what did any of you get???

Personally just got home from up north and it was HOT and smoky from forest fires.
We managed to get our 2 moose one 5x6 and a tiny 2 pt as we went to get 2 bulls and werent fussy LOL
better eating anyways, did see a cranker I called in at the edge of a lake/swamp/cut block but came from a long way away and just couldnt get close enough before it got to dark and wasnt there the next day :(.

saw about 20 deer not 4 pts and only 1 bear? weird as last year we saw a bear around every corner. dont know where they all went to???

next I may go on an island elk hunt again and then to sask of course...

Photos to follow......

Wolf

All the bears are between Kitwanga and Dease Lake
When I came down from Whitehorse a week ago
Looked like a lot of moose hunters hitting the road to camps good luck

Rum Chum

Passed on 14 does with the bow last night. Feeding right in front of me ranging from 20 through 50 yards. The Biggie must still be nocturnal at this point, but that will change. Back at it this evening...

Cheers,
Nog

Got back on the 25th with a variety pack, 1 mulie, 1 elk, 1 moose. It was a great trip lots of fun and no issuers with gear. Way too hot but they were starting to move pretty good, moose were just staring to get into it.

Back from up North

Headed out for our annual moose trip to the far reaches of BC in hopes of putting some meat in freezer and relaxing last weekend.

It was a great time and although the hunting was tougher than last year, we still enjoyed ourselves and had some good laughs. The weather was a mix of hot, cold, snow, wind, sleet, rain and the best of all....a full moon..... Lots of people out this year, but they all like to drive roads and drive roads and drive roads, which is just fine.

We had 4 different bulls show us their head gear this year, two just did not measure up, one would not stop long enough for us to get a good look at and one fit what we were looking for.

We got this bull on the last afternoon of our trip, buddy called him in and I shot him a ~8 yards, then he lunged towards me and I shot him again at around 6 yards, he turned and ran 20 yards and that was it. We had to pack it out to the road, thank god for the younger guys in the crew who did it with no complaints and lots of energy......sucks geting old.

as he lay

IMGP1481.jpg

The hunter

IMGP1483.jpg

IMGP1485.jpg

Also saw a couple deer and this guy who did not have a care in the world that we were there.

IMGP1475.jpg

Cheers

SS

Last edited by a moderator:
My Dad went down to Utah a few weeks ago and got a 405 3/8ths Rocky Mtn Elk...what a beauty, it is super thick, I"ll see if I can't get some pictures.

My Dad went down to Utah a few weeks ago and got a 405 3/8ths Rocky Mtn Elk...what a beauty, it is super thick, I"ll see if I can't get some pictures.

WOW!! 405 plus is one hell of an Elk! Way into the Boone & Crockett club! Would LOVE to see the pictures of that Monster!!

Nice bull for you too Liquid Guide!

Cheers,
Nog

NICE BULL sitka!!!!!
just got back on sat from a tag along hunt for Island elk they shot a nice fat 4 pter with really nice antlers on it 3 days all we saw was about 35 cows and calves not even a spike bull so he opted for the bull he saw pics to follow soon....

Great Bull Sitka! Fantastic "Close In" Work!!

Congrats Wolf on another successful Rosie Hunt! Looking forward to the pictures...

Christmas came early for Mad Max (as my Excalibur ExoMax is affectionately known). Knock on the door damn early, and a rather long rectangular box dropped into my hands...

Big_John_Arrows_1.jpg

Big_John_Arrows_2.jpg

A Dozen spanky new arrows, Custom Built by one of Canada's Finest Craftsmen!!
Gold-Tip Laser II's, all just a smidge over 265 grains (with a + or - ratio of less than a grain!), aluminum backs & brass fronts for increased FOC, 2" Blaser Vanes with right helical and 6 degree offset. Perfectly designed for the ExoMax, and guaranteed to spin absolutely true well out past fifty yards!! In a word: AWESOME!! :D

If I wasn't smoking salmon today, I would most certainly be testing them out! Tomorrow For Sure! Then back to The Chase! Methinks one of these Fine Beauties has an impending date with one of those crafty Blacktails I've been watching. Soon that is... :cool:

Cheers,
Nog

Back