THE OFFICAL LEAD MELT/BARB-Q/ FIESTA FUNDRAISER!!!! JUNE 2nd

After alot of interest and talking back and forth between members we have decided to move foward with this. Big thanks to Sculpin for the help.

I have secured a great rural location in Black Creek, with on site camping if need be for out of towners and people who cant drive after for whatever reason :). The only catch is a waiver, waving the property owner and myself of any liability if someone does something dumb must be signed off on. I have also secured around 400lbs of lead at a discounted price(not sure what it is but between 80c and $1 a Lb). I will be buying the lead so 100% of the proceeds will be going to The Sacred Salmon Cause out of that 400. Sculpin's company is kicking in alot of the safety supplies(gloves, masks,aprons, respirators) tables as well as donating some misc Raffle prizes. There will be 2 barb-q's on site, as well as a fire pit. There will be 2 or 3 dedicated Pourers (yet to be deterimed, but i will be one forsure.). If you have your own lead we will be happy to pour it for you with the mold listed below, all we ask is you make a small donation (whatever you feel is good) to the cause. Our goal is to raise $1000 minimum. I have already had over $400 of balls sold to people who can not make the shindig but would like to donate! $15lb balls will be going for $25 a piece, They will be finned with 2 eyes. All other various weights will go for very various discounted prices. Banana mooching weights, 1 lb hali weights, Jigs, etc. I dont know the price at least half of what you would buy at your local retailer.

So heres the details.

Cause: Alexandra Morton, The scared Salmon

Date : Saturday, June 2nd noon till whenever.

Lead pour will go on from 1pm-4pm. After that the burners will be put away, and the beers will be flowing freely.

Location: Bottom of Paradise Meadows on Mccauley Rd. It is a gated private property and will be treated as such. He is also a personal friend of mine. It is the same porperty that the Oyster River Enhancement Society uses. If you dont know exactly where this is. PM me and I will tell you. The gate will be open from 12-5pm. After that the gate will be shut and the good times will roll. If you are coming after that PM and i will give you my cell number and come and open the gate for you.

The address is around 4000 McCauley Rd, JUst past BEar creek ranch on the opposite side of the road.I will more then likely put a sign at the end of the road from noon. till 5.

49.52.44.10 N 125.11.08.80 W.

What to bring: BYOB, Any food you would like to barb-q. And any side dishes you would like to share. BRING A FOLD UP CHAIR FOR YOURSELF!!
Any lead you want melted. Please make sure it is clean lead and no Tire weights.

Equipment supplied by Various people (Sculpin, baddogg, Fish Assasin, Finished Business)

2 Big melting pots
2 smaller melting pots
2 burners
2 tiger torches
3 15lb molds.
1 12lb mold
2 1lb molds
1 2 lb mold
1 1.5 lb mold
2oz, 4oz, 6oz, 8oz (cutplug) Bettys
1.5oz, 2.5oz, 3.5oz, 4.5oz Bettys
Pipe jigs are also being considered

http://www.gamefishin.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2639

If anyone else has anything they can bring post up, and i will add it to the list. But we need at least one more burner and a 12lb cannon ball mold would be helpful.

Here are some guidlines I snagged for the bloody decks site. LOL

THIS IS AN OPEN INVITATION TO ANYONE ON THE FORUM

BRING THE APPROPRIATE HOOKS OR GEAR FOR THE MOLD OR JIGS THAT YOU HAVE.(THESE ARE TO SHARE WITH THE GROUP)

LEAVE YOUR DOGS AND YOUNG CHILDREN AT HOME . YOUR DOGS DON,T NEED TO BE PISSING AND SHITTING ALL OVER. (IF YOUR KIDS ARE OLD ENOUGH TO BE PART OF THE POUR AND CAN TOLERATE OUR BEHAVIOR AND LANGUAGE THEY ARE WELCOME. ( YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THEM )

IT IS NICE TO STAY TO HELP CLEAN UP (SOME PEOPLE WILL HAVE TO LEAVE BECAUSE OF OTHER PLANS, WE GET IT.)

IF YOU HAVE A BURNER BRING IT THE MORE POTS THAT ARE GOING THE FASTER THE PROCESS. ALSO IF YOU HAVE A STEEL SLOTTED LADLE OR LARGE SLOTTED SPOON THEY ARE GREAT TO SKIM OFF THE CRAP FROM THE TOP OF THE LEAD.

PLEASE BRING A PROPANE TANK ESPECIALLY IF YOU BRING A BURNER.

IF YOU ARE A REJECT WHEN YOU ARE HAMMERED. PLEASE DONT COME. NOBODY WANTS A WHINING CRYING DRUNK PERSON TO BABYSITT. HOWEVER, ALCOHOL INDUCED BS FISHING STORIES AROUND A CAMPFIRE ARE ALWAYS WELCOME.

Please post in here if you are coming(even if you are a maybe), what if anything you are bringing and how many you are bringing, So we can get an idea of how many are coming out for this great time for a great cause. I know there are some from Nanaimo and Vic coming up, so i hope the local support is strong! There is alot of things us guys disagree on. Two things I certain we can agree on is that our salmon are in trouble and need our help, as well as everyone likes cheap gear/booze/ and food. PM me if you would like to run a barb-q or a melting pot.

Lorne

untitled-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I'm fairly committed so I'll be there lol. I might be bringing two or three from Nanaimo as well TBD. Thanks for organizing this Lorne.

Cheers,
John

btw, no brews till 4pm?, huh?......holmes*

People an drink whenever they want. lol. Except for the lead pourers (for obvious reasons). The 4pm comment was to referrred to that we wont be refiring up the burners on and off all day. Because the people behind them would like to have a good time as well. So if oyu need something poured be there before then. As far as boozing, start at 6am if you want!

hey Lorne, what about camping, accomodations, designated drivers, etc....just wondering....holmes*

Anyone who wants to camp, there is lots of room on the property if you want to pitch a tent, or bring a camper or something. I can be a designated driver till about 6. After that, I will need one more then likely.

An industrial first aid kit too.

I have seen 1000's of pounds of lead poured with zero accidents. However the possibility is always there. This is the reason to have designated non drinking pourers, to minimize the chance of this happening.

Although we dont plan on having any accidents, First aid will be on hand as well as multiple fire extinguishers.

The oyster river will also be within 100 yards should you light yourself on fire and need to jump in.

Hey Lorne you might want to change that first number in the GPS coordinates lol. I'm not driving to Portland:p:).

I'll try to be there, but if can't I've got a donation for you, thanks Lorne and everyone that's on board with this.

Hey Lorne.

My applause to you for taking the torch and running with it...sounds like a great event that I may possibly make the jaunt across for, time permitting...if not I will see to it that John does get the molds for the event. One note in regards to the 1.5-4.5oz betty molds...I have milled a small pocket into each size so a snap swivel can be added prior to pouring. If anyone plans to add some snap swivels to these particular sizes you may do so. The other molds are just standard brass eye as they did not have the clearance (HILTS) to add a pocket for the snap swivel.

Lorne, are you going to have some brass eyes on hand or are people expected to supply their own? Some of my molds are HILTS and others are Do-IT, although I believe a #1 do-it eye is the same as a #1 Hilts, and so on and so on.

Sounds like its really shaping up.....if the charity is the main target of the event, how about dollar dogs and 2 dollar beers towards the cause....could be something to consider as well...

Great location, good times to follow!

Any idea how many 15# balls are to be poured in a 3 hour period?

Will there be a generator on site for electric melters.

Whats the thoughts on foreign lead that people might bring? Could be dangerous

Any thoughts of just doing a pre pour then just selling the lead. That way weather wont be a factor and you could have it @ Kitty Coleman were people could fish, BBq, camp, people could have toilets etc....

Just my thoughts....

Any idea how many 15# balls are to be poured in a 3 hour period?

Not sure. 20-50ish i guess.

Will there be a generator on site for electric melters.

Yes

Whats the thoughts on foreign lead that people might bring? Could be dangerous

Yup, could be, but hopefully people wont bring stuff that is dangerous. I have faith in people.

Any thoughts of just doing a pre pour then just selling the lead. That way weather wont be a factor.

Nope, that would kind of take away of the whole "lead melt concept" i think. We will have at least one decent sized structure in case it rains. And if it does rain we should know a few days in advance. If thats the case, we revist it then.

you could have it @ Kitty Coleman were people could fish, BBq, camp, people could have toilets etc....

The only thing you cant do at this venue is fish. Which is not the point of it anyway, and actually kind of contridictory. A day a away from killing salmon to raise money to help save them.

Lorne

I googled it and punched in the coordinates and it looks like a big field next to the river? Lot's of room for trucks and campers and pitching tents etc. for those that don't want to drive home afterwards. I know I'll be on the next morning clean up crew. I'm bringing so much stuff there is no way I'm packing it all up and heading home that night.

I have a nice quiet Yamaha genny that I'll bring. I also have a 100 lb propane tank and a few 20 lbers as well.

I lined up another 12 lb mold today.

I will try and make it, but cannot guarantee for sure.
Good on you Lorne for raising money for salmon.

I would like to check this out, I have a 15# and a 1.5# mould. Even if I dont make the event, I can donate the use of these if needed. I like to use the inner stainless wire from inside controll cables for the eyes, they work really well.

I'm in on this event.
Mark me down to buy some 15# CB's
GLG

Remember to post up in this thread if your going to make it to this fun event:).

Remember to post up in this thread if your going to make it to this fun event:).
I regret that I can't make it but can I drop off a donation somewhere in Nanaimo?

^^^ yes absolutely. I dont want to speak for John, but im sure hed have no problem accepting the donation and bringing it up. I have already had people contact me, that cannot make it but are sending cheques. I would be surprised if we dont double our $1000 goal.

THanks for all the support so far everyone!

Lorne

Back