Paying tax on a used boat at ICBC WTF????

I went in to the insurance office today to get a temp permit to transport my double eagle that I am buying used and I was advised that when I get the boat and come in to insure the trailer I will need to pay the tax on the trailer and the HST on the boat to ICBC who then submits it to Canada Revenue??? I was under the assumption that I would get a tax slip after I trasnfer the boat into my name with Transport Canada??? I have ready many posts on here and NONE of them stated that anybody has ever payed their tax on their used boat to ICBC????? WTF????

Does this sound right as I really dont want to pay those bunch of crooks.... oops I mean ICBC if I don't have to. I get that I have to pay the tax on the trailer but the BOAT?????

SS31

Ya, it sucks. I had to pay another $1200 after I thought I was all clear. They do whatever they can to get your money everytime you turn around.

how do they know that you bought a boat to just say you bought a trailer and are putting you old boat on it. will they know the difference

how do they know that you bought a boat to just say you bought a trailer and are putting you old boat on it. will they know the difference

How about just being honest and paying? I did. It is the right thing to do. Besides, it's going to be obvious that you got a new boat, and there will be a paper trail that shows it. If you get insurance on your boat, there will be paper that will show you insuring that boat for the first time right around the time you bought a trailer for it. And if you get a boat license (the "K" number), more paper. If you get an MMSI for your DSC radio... I think you get the message.

If the extent of taxation is disliked, the solution is through the ballot box, not non-payment. Our tax system is based to a large extent on people being honest. Lack of honesty just results in more investigation and enforcement, which increases costs, and guess what, that requires more tax revenue!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I went in to the insurance office today to get a temp permit to transport my double eagle that I am buying used and I was advised that when I get the boat and come in to insure the trailer I will need to pay the tax on the trailer and the HST on the boat to ICBC who then submits it to Canada Revenue??? I was under the assumption that I would get a tax slip after I trasnfer the boat into my name with Transport Canada??? I have ready many posts on here and NONE of them stated that anybody has ever payed their tax on their used boat to ICBC????? WTF????

Does this sound right as I really dont want to pay those bunch of crooks.... oops I mean ICBC if I don't have to. I get that I have to pay the tax on the trailer but the BOAT?????

SS31

Who cares who collects the tax money? It has to be paid somewhere. Used boats require the tax to be paid on them. You can pay in a couple of minutes at ICBC or you can stand in line at Service BC for an hour to do the same thing.
Dave

You pay either way now or later. You must register/transfer the K number. When they register/transfer to you they also check to see if taxes are paid and if not they will send you a bill. If you do not transfer the numbers to yor name your insurance may not be valid. If the coast guard stops you you will also be fined for not having the k/reg numbers in your name.

/fishon

If Christy had removed the HST when told by the electorate to do so instead of continuing to rip us off, you would NOT have to pay the full amount on a used boat. Remember the old system - no GST on used boats, PST only. So you are still paying 5% too much. Thanks, Christy!

Ya, we paid the taxes too. But when we tried to register the boat at Service Canada, we were handed a form to be filled out and sent in with the bill of sale (we photo copied everything as paper work has disappeared at the government's end before).

Then we tried getting insurance on the trailer at an ICBC representative office and hit a gray area as to who was collecting the taxes, as the insurance agent did not know, and what portion of taxes applied to the boat and trailer. Well, several phone calls to various government departments and 1 1/2 - 2 hours later we were back at the insurance agent desk paying ICBC the taxes. Oh yeah, we had to get a new bill of sale from the seller indicating how much the trailer cost and how the boat cost. Several weeks later the new boat registration arrived, which must be on board the vessel with you.

You pay either way now or later. You must register/transfer the K number. When they register/transfer to you they also check to see if taxes are paid and if not they will send you a bill. If you do not transfer the numbers to yor name your insurance may not be valid. If the coast guard stops you you will also be fined for not having the k/reg numbers in your name.

/fishon

Does anyone know what the fine is if they pull you over and you don't have numbers on your boat?

Did you know that your licence is only good for 10 years and then you're supposed to renew it? I'm sure there will be a fee for that too at some point. And it says it's "not a title document" so maybe you should carry a bill of sales too. ;)

Ya Im not trying to get around paying the tax but usually its about 6 months before they send you the tax bill... and that's what I budgeted for...now I have to pay it up front.... ******....oh well.....if it floats f*cks or flies it's gonna cost me $$$$ lol

Neither. Just helped the wife get her PCOC and I think that those fines listed in one of the books she reviewed.

It's actually 12% pst you pay on a used boat not hst. Most people didn't notice when they upped it when they brought in the hst.

I beleive when you register your boat with revenue Canada you will get a new number ending in BC, I beleive the K numbers are gone. As well you are supposed to have proof of registration/ownership on the boat, which can be a laminated photocopy...

Bret

I beleive when you register your boat with revenue Canada you will get a new number ending in BC, I beleive the K numbers are gone. As well you are supposed to have proof of registration/ownership on the boat, which can be a laminated photocopy...

That's what I thought too, but I just got my registration papers in the mail this week and it looks like the old K number has just been rolled over but under my name. No bill for the taxes yet, but it'll come sure enough just like death.

Just did mine as well about 3 months ago. Got my papers 3weeks later and ,yea they rolled over my old K number as
well!

Just did mine as well about 3 months ago. Got my papers 3weeks later and ,yea they rolled over my old K number as
well!

Back