Start of a electronic's upgrade to the Sculpin

Sculpin

Well I decided to change out some of the dated electronic's on the Sculpin. I relpaced the rear main fishing screen with a new Lowrance HDS10.

IMG_1816.jpg

We mounted the new Lowrance 3G radar (that I got on sale for a good deal but still wish I waited for the 4G).

IMG_1809.jpg

IMG_1812.jpg

IMG_1810.jpg

I will post up some more photo's and hopefully video once some of the other stuff is installed.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Looks great Sculpin! Does that display take much spray while on the run?

Yup, lot's if we're heading into a sea and I'm running faster than I should;).

looks awsome! What are you putting upfront? Hds 10 is a great unit especially for the back.

I'm putting in a new stand alone HDS7 just for radar and depthsounder. I have an existing Global Map 7200 right next to it as my stand alone gps. Both units are up front on the main helm. A few other goodies are going to be installed in the next day or two.

Thanks for the nice comments folks.

gREAT STUFF- i HAVE THE 10" AND AM WONDERING WHAT TO PUT ON THE REAR HELM STATION- dROOLING OVER THE NEW chirp? TECHNOLOGY FOR FISH FINDERS (GARMIN AND SIMRAD) but 4,000.00 to see fish on the screen that I never catch seems a little pricey- One can dream though--
sorry about the caps--New Years eve still kicked in.

I have the same units on my Hourston and love them. I have the HDS10 mounted in the cabin and can read it from the back. I also have the Standard Horizon VHF with the AIS that I would highly recommend.

I have the same units on my Hourston and love them. I have the HDS10 mounted in the cabin and can read it from the back. I also have the Standard Horizon VHF with the AIS that I would highly recommend.
Definately a must have, I have it too look at the standard horizon gx2150, really cool how it overlays all commercial traffic info and any other pleasure craft with the AIS+ right onto the hds10 and you can program in your friends and it will track and show them as well. its like having radar without radar lol

I am also looking at the chirp now as well. I have dual hds 10 right now which is or was the ultimate sonar imaging available for smaller boats. The overlay radar works like a dream and I thought it was ultimate set up. Now the simrad nss 12 has me thinking that there may be a better way to go. I am not sure about the touch screen and it works with fishy fingers or gloves.
Not trying hijack the thread but has anyone looking at the simrad systems with BSM 2 chirp technology.
Apparently all of my HDS extras in my network will hook right up. I am not sure if anyone sells simrad around here but it sure looks cool.

I am also looking at the chirp now as well. I have dual hds 10 right now which is or was the ultimate sonar imaging available for smaller boats. The overlay radar works like a dream and I thought it was ultimate set up. Now the simrad nss 12 has me thinking that there may be a better way to go. I am not sure about the touch screen and it works with fishy fingers or gloves.
Not trying hijack the thread but has anyone looking at the simrad systems with BSM 2 chirp technology.
Apparently all of my HDS extras in my network will hook right up. I am not sure if anyone sells simrad around here but it sure looks cool.

I really like the Simrad yachting line and if I had the money I would go that route. Their auto pilots apparently kick azz.

Definately a must have, I have it too look at the standard horizon gx2150, really cool how it overlays all commercial traffic info and any other pleasure craft with the AIS+ right onto the hds10 and you can program in your friends and it will track and show them as well. its like having radar without radar lol

I just bought a Quest series last year but I am thinking of selling it and getting the Matrix series with AIS. You've mentioned it a few times and have me convinced:).

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the 3G a broadband , is it similar to the BR24 ?

Yes it is. My understanding is the 3G replaces the BR24 and the 4G is even better than the 3G with the longer range and new beam sharpening feature (which is really cool).

I have the ap 28 and it is best piece of equipment in my boat. I never use the wheel unless I am docking the boat or driving in the fog or in tight quarters. I can be trolling into a Gale and it keeps me right on course. You add a jog stick in the rear which totally elimanates the need for a wheel in the back. One wire, no helm or hydraulic lines. Just like driving a big ship. The rc-24 (compass) that you need for the autopilot is the same compass for the overlay radar which brings the whole combo to life.
The simrad system has the autopilot dial and controls built right in so you everythings in one place. You need a lot of run behind your dash to make it all fit

I just bought a new Quest series last year but I am thinking of selling it and getting the Matrix series with AIS. You've mentioned it a few times and have me convinced:).
Ya, I just cant say enough about it, I think I like it as much as the HDS10, if you get it shoot me your mmsi and I'll give you mine and you will be able to locate me in an instant and call me using DSC.
even across the straight,

Yes the Matrix is the way to go. It shows large ships way before your radar would pick them up and you can talk to the bridge of the ship if you needed. Just another great piece of safety equipment, thinking of buying another as a back-up to replace the back-up I have now.

Yes the Matrix is the way to go. It shows large ships way before your radar would pick them up and you can talk to the bridge of the ship if you needed. Just another great piece of safety equipment, thinking of buying another as a back-up to replace the back-up I have now.

You folks have talked me into it;). I think they have some Matrix AIS units on sale at the Harbour Chandler right now. I'm going to keep the one I just installed last summer as a back up and sell my older SH unit that was my back up.

Well I finally got to test out why I had the shed for the boat built! Man has it been raining here for the last two days. I headed out this evening to work on a few things. I installed the HDS7 and played around a little with figuring out where to put the Sonic Hub system.

Some of the goodies going in.

IMG_1840.jpg

Here is the main helm now with the HDS7 installed next to my GlobalMap 7200 (which is staying for now). I will use the HDS7 for radar and depthsounder. The GlobalMap will stay as a stand alone GPS.

IMG_1855.jpg

My existing Kenwood stereo. I am going to take it out and try to adapt the Sonic Hub recepticle into the existing housing.

IMG_1856.jpg

Here is a quick vid I took with the camera (click the thumbnail). Too dark in the cabin but I really wanted to show why I love the boat shed so much. Listen to the RAIN near the end of the clip. My baby is nice and dry and I can work on her. I love it!

Cheers
Sculpin

Wow, looks like Disneyland everyday for the Sculpin !
lottery pay off ? :D:p

Ha ha. Nope. just work hard play harder:cool:. Lowrance is not expensive stuff compared to others out there and I bought all this stuff in the fall on sale. I am just getting around to putting it in now. I just thought I would share the experience is all:).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back