good batter for fish and chips?

Tried this out on new years with halibut and snapper and it was great, lots of kisses for the cook that night. Thx Jim.

Thanks Enniberg, glad to see you are using it and enjoying it!

Here it is for those who don't have it, or can't find it:

Jim’s Beer Batter Fried Fish

1 Egg
1 12 oz. Can of Beer (Canadian)
1-1/8 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
2 Tsp Salt (Sea Salt)
¾ Tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
½ Tsp Garlic Powder
1 Tsp Paprika
½ Tsp White Sugar

Mix all ingredients.
Wash fish in cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
Roll fish in flour.
Dip in Batter.
Deep Fry at 350F until Golden. – Be careful not to let stick to wire basket in fryer.
Drain cooked fish on paper towels, lightly salt, and serve.

Tartar Sauce

1 Cup Hellmann’s Mayonnaise
2 Pickles – Finely Chopped
½ Medium White Onion – Finely Chopped.
1 Tsp Parsley
½ Tsp Tarragon
½ Tsp Freshly Ground Pepper
½ Tsp White Sugar
Juice of ½ Fresh Lemon

Mix ingredients and put in fridge. Best if prepared a few hours or a day in advance.

-----------------------

Just remembered something to make your life easier if you like this on a regular basis:

Prepare a number of ziplock plastic bags and put all the DRY ingrediants for one batch into each bag. Label "Beer Batter Mix" and "Add 1 Egg & 1 Can of Beer"

Keep these handy and simply add the egg and beer to the mix in a bowl and use as normal - saves you all the mixing and measuring when you are in a hurry.

Brodies XXX Self Raising flour. Add beer.
Keep it thin so if you put your finger in it lightly coats.
Quick and easy.
Makes a nice light batter.

I like the idea of the Jim's above and premixing some.
I will be trying this also.

I also like to freeze a few bags of a doz or so large prawns to make at the same time.
I pick out the jumbos and keep them for this.

mmmmm.... This is making me hungry. I think I'll have a fish fry on the weekend.

I think I mentioned before......... I liked Jim's, but we cut back big time on the paprika and it was turning my batter red and was very strong.

Beer works well, but I find I prefer my fish & chips without the beer batter flavor. I use soda water to give the batter the same puff but a cleaner flavor.

I have the recipe written up HERE. <--- click

Fish & Chips-4.jpg

Thanks Chef. It would be nice to see ya around some more :cool:. Your blog rocks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys.
I had all kinds of website problems for a while. I just recently got it fixed.
I have a new recipe I'll share shortly.

I am afraid that not all your website problems are fixed.. Tried to sign up on you blog page -- and nada. Might try later

Cheers
Me

I think the vinegar is key, makes the batter harder somehow, which in turn means you can have a thin coating that shows off the fish rather than smothering it with batter. A good friend always insists on serving up hali fish n chips done in Aunt Jemima pancake batter. Eeyuk, I love him like a brother but what a waste of primo halibut. Sickly sweet heavy thick coating completely buries the fish. Could be hiding anything under that battle armour.

I like to use a breader over a batter for fish

I fryed up on last week Monday some fresh Salmon we caught the day before
I order this breader online....it is deluxe and cheap
96E861F0-9B5E-4CBE-A167-D40CFD519351-23627-000017F36AD713C4_zpsde21c93c.jpg

The bag of breader on the right is their originial. If you like a good kick of heat to your fryed fish mix the 2 breaders 1 to 1. That's the way we like it but beware.....the Cajun ain't for the faint of heart. You will realize that as soon as you open the bag

Soak your pieces of fish in a bowl of butter milk and a beaten egg.
Pull the pieces out of liquid, give it a couple shakes to remove excess then drop it in a zip lock bag of the breader

CAAB8F95-E350-4C96-968F-9C1B1A9F5D27-23627-000017EFD5E69D0F_zpse9f72b1b.jpg

966BB65C-506C-4AB7-B401-7990FE4EEAD2-23627-000017F9E7B050A6_zps2099ae4c.jpg

44BFE712-D5F5-43CC-9F33-D1E4BA9E0AF9-23627-000017FE31214DA3_zps3354412a.jpg

This breader is awesome on prawns also.

For me, the problem with deep fried fish is that it's almost always too greasy. Found this recipe today http://www.fishinbc.com/beer-batter/ and it was fantastic. Basically, nothing but flour and beer, and light on the flour. Not much to absorb the grease. Cook hot and fast to make it nice and crispy.

I've been playing around with batter recipes for a while now. Take note of the ones in here that include corn starch as well as regular flour - they have superior coating qualities. They can be prepared at slightly thinner consistency to reduce coating thickness and yet the fish stays completely coated without bare spots. I've completely deleted the egg because of the extra coating power of corn starch. Add some garlic powder and/or onion powder for a little more flavour. My Aunt Jemima buddy is a convert, we're all digging the thin, crispy coating that doesn't bury high quality fish in doughy sweet glug.

I have used this one a lot and always had a good response. Cut the fish into cubes (1 to 1.5 "). Prepare a simple egg wash (eggs, a touch of milk, and a pinch of salt). For the batter I use Panko with a couple of spoons of Cajun spice mixed in it. Dip the fish into the egg and then coat with the Panko and fry in a hot pan with a bit of oil to nicely brown each side. Serve with Tartar sauce, it is great. If you want to go Gluten Free - use crushed up Rice Chex instead of the Panko. If you like it a bit sweeter, put a bit of honey in the egg wash. These also work great as appies - 2-bite fish. I use this on hali or lingcod, but can be used on anything. Really easy to do and very tasty.

I have used this one a lot and always had a good response. Cut the fish into cubes (1 to 1.5 "). Prepare a simple egg wash (eggs, a touch of milk, and a pinch of salt). For the batter I use Panko with a couple of spoons of Cajun spice mixed in it. Dip the fish into the egg and then coat with the Panko and fry in a hot pan with a bit of oil to nicely brown each side. Serve with Tartar sauce, it is great. If you want to go Gluten Free - use crushed up Rice Chex instead of the Panko. If you like it a bit sweeter, put a bit of honey in the egg wash. These also work great as appies - 2-bite fish. I use this on hali or lingcod, but can be used on anything. Really easy to do and very tasty.

I do very similar but 1/2 panko, 1/2 Italian breads crumbs. Add a pinch of chili powder, garlic powder, onion powders, couple pinches salt pepper. It's awesome used on albacore as well

http://www.bluewolfcharters.com/seafood_recipes.htm here is all of my own i have designed myself over the years.

Enjoy!!!

Wolf
Wolf,

I tried your Crab dip last week and it was fantastic. We cook, clean and vacuum seal our Crab and we now have a large volume to go through. This recipe was a nice change from the Crab and seafood cakes that I am always making.

Tonight we returned from a very rewarding trip to Ucluelet and we have a large volume of Halibut so I tried Roy's batter recipe. Wow, it is amazing. I don't do a lot of fish and chips at home because it often turns out so greasy. This recipe worked out brilliantly.

Thanks so much,

Brian

Your very welcome , But must admit I had help early on my career when I took my Chefs training I had a great teacher who taught me alot about herbs and spices and such , he was a great man we remained friends well on after my training in 1988 and unfortunately passed last year. He always said think outside the box he always made me figure it out on my own..LOL
Always glad people try and use my recipes as I love food cooked right.

good luck Wolf

Salt water bath the pieces for 10 min .pull from brine.pat dry with towel.roll fish in flower drip lemon add pepper on fish .blend 1c-1c-1c flower,eggs,milk till air suspends in batter.place fish pieces in bowl of batter and remove covered in batter and drip for a moment and place in hot oil.if 111 blended for yorkshires works the best it too works for fish.last nights leftover.DSCF2390.JPG DSCF2391.JPG

Chef in Mexico put me onto the egg wash spiced Panko. When I do Cajun I will make a honey paprika aoli, and if I add Italiano instead I go with a crushed/ roasted garlic aoli.

Back