good batter for fish and chips?

getting a craving for some fish and chips. just got a new fryer and have done a couple of batches of fish but i am not sold on my batter. have tried 2 different reciepes and not very happy with either. just wondering if anyone out there had a killer recipe they would like to share?

scott craven has a good one I dont have it up in the gwaii though
maybe send him a pm" r.s. craven"

Try this one, makes a light Tempura type batter
good for 4-6 med.pieces

2/3 cup flour
2/3 cup water
1 tbsp vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

heat up oil very hot,
Mix flour ,water & salt and beat till smooth
add vinegar, & baking soda
batter & deep fry

:)

heres mine, always get rave reviews, comes out perfect everytime
2/3c cornstarch
1/3c flour
1tsp vinegar
1TBS magic baking powder
aprox 1/2 c water

flour fish pieces,
combine cornstarch, flour and vinegar ONLY, add enough water to make a medium thick pancake batter,
heat oil to at least 375
now the trick is to add baking powder to cornstarch mixture just before your ready to batter and fry
dip fish in batter and fry to golden brown,
this is also great for veggies, mushrooms, zuchini,onions or whatever you may have a hankering for

Last edited by a moderator:
Country Grocer in Esquimalt sells a beer batter mix at the meat counter. Basically you take that bag of ingredients, dump a can of beer (Lucky of course) mix it, dip your fish then deep fry. I've had real good luck with that. Dead easy and damn tasty.

I have tried Jim's beer batter (sushihunter) a few times, and it is very good - thanks Jim!

I printed out the recipe, but it is on here somewhere.

I have tried Jim's beer batter (sushihunter) a few times, and it is very good - thanks Jim!

I printed out the recipe, but it is on here somewhere.

Thanks Enniberg, glad to see you are using it and enjoying it!

Here it is for those who don't have it, or can't find it:

Jim’s Beer Batter Fried Fish

1 Egg
1 12 oz. Can of Beer (Canadian)
1-1/8 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
2 Tsp Salt (Sea Salt)
¾ Tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
½ Tsp Garlic Powder
1 Tsp Paprika
½ Tsp White Sugar

Mix all ingredients.
Wash fish in cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
Roll fish in flour.
Dip in Batter.
Deep Fry at 350F until Golden. – Be careful not to let stick to wire basket in fryer.
Drain cooked fish on paper towels, lightly salt, and serve.

Tartar Sauce

1 Cup Hellmann’s Mayonnaise
2 Pickles – Finely Chopped
½ Medium White Onion – Finely Chopped.
1 Tsp Parsley
½ Tsp Tarragon
½ Tsp Freshly Ground Pepper
½ Tsp White Sugar
Juice of ½ Fresh Lemon

Mix ingredients and put in fridge. Best if prepared a few hours or a day in advance.

-----------------------

Just remembered something to make your life easier if you like this on a regular basis:

Prepare a number of ziplock plastic bags and put all the DRY ingrediants for one batch into each bag. Label "Beer Batter Mix" and "Add 1 Egg & 1 Can of Beer"

Keep these handy and simply add the egg and beer to the mix in a bowl and use as normal - saves you all the mixing and measuring when you are in a hurry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have never done it myself, but being a Food Network junkie (what else do you watch when there's no hockey ?!?!?!), I noticed that traditional Japanese tempura batter (which I like because if it's done right, it's crispy but still light) always uses ice cold soda water in the mix. I think it has something to do with aerating the batter, and there is something important about it being COLD ... Gotta love Iron Chef Morimoto!!

You are more than welcome twiked that recipe a few times its all i use ..

thanks Wolf

The almond one is good as well or substitute ground peanuts with a mixture of half and half with panko bread crumbs then a white wine reduction on top. i made that for my mom on moms day and she loved it.

Wolf

K

props ta Wolf ,

tried his batter this weekend , Was Really Good , Crispy , great texture , Goes really well with Cold Beer !!!

thx Roy

here it is , from his web... http://www.bluewolfcharters.com/seafood_recipes.htm

Try it once then make your own modifications. I personally add dry dill or any other herb you may like, about 3 Tbsp and a pinch of pepper

Ingredients

1 1/4 cup Flour
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1/4 cup Cornstarch
1 Tsp Salt
1 1/2 cup Water
1 Tsp Vinegar

Method

Combine all ingredients and stir until mixed then let sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes. If after a few pieces, the batter is running off the fish, just add a bit of flour and remix. You want it to stick and not fall off.

Happy Battering!

FD

I like to use tempura batter made with beer, instead of water, makes for very light and thin batter that promotes the flavour of the fish.

Back