Campbell River Pinks

Stop in at River Sportsman in CR-- ask for their pink killer expert (Enns or whoever) they will help you out with the latest info. They have always been very good and helpful to anglers without local knowledge

Thinking about heading up to try my hand at fly fishing for pinks in cr, is there a significant amount of fish in the system already (I am a pretty amatuer fly fisherman), and would the pink handlebar do as I have no idea what to use since I am try to get away from gear chucking.

Lots of fish in the river and tons more along the beach and thru the Tyee Pool tonite heading in. Your fly will work fine as will most any, specially if slightly weighted.

Good luck and have fun.

Take care.

What Dave H. said. Most pink or green weighted fly will do. Better success with weighted fly to get down to the fish. Lots fresh willing biters. Have fun.

Me and few of my buddies want to come down do some camping and catch few pinks, we are not pro's just guys wanting to catch some fish and enjoy our time off work. We will be coming up from vancouver and wondering is the pink salmon run just starting or peeking or has it peaked already? I tried looking around but I could not find much in terms of reports. We plan to come either this long weekend or the following depending on when it will be best to catch them while they are chrome, and not coloured up. any input would be great. ;)

Hit the Campbell yesterday evening after work... Its a lot of fun fishing/catching those little buggers on the fly rod...should be good for a few more weeks..

That's at the hatchery weir. What a waste. Most of those are just fertilizer. I can believe the theory that these hatcheries are putting to many fish in the ocean.
So those fish dont get a chance to spawn? I dont get it

So those fish dont get a chance to spawn? I dont get it

I'm sure some will but they're not being let past the hatchery fence now, so that only leaves a few km of stream below. Quinsam is a pretty small river and I believe priority for limited natural spawning habitat is given to Chinook and Coho.
I'm curious what effect that amount of fish has on the water quality. ie. oxygen levels?

Took a walk with the wonderdog up the Quinnie today and took a couple of pics as well as confirming my understanding of what is happening with such a large return.
So, here's some info to clear up a couple of questions raised earlier.

They are holding fish at the hatchery fence and conducting ESSR fisheries (Excess Salmon to Spawning Requirements) periodically to hold the numbers down near what is considered optimum for the spawning habitat available upstream.
This number is between 150,000 and 200,000 so with numbers in excess of that expected if not already in freshwater and the complications that can arise with too many fish on the spawning beds this early harvest seems reasonable enough to me.

Most of you will know that back in 2005 a project on the Quinsam was completed that allowed access for Pinks and other salmon up past what is known as the Cascades area, previously impassable for Pinks. About 14 km of good spawning habitat became available and the Pinks took great advantage of that.
Being the most short-lived of the salmon, the results from their success were seen quickly and we're seeing them again this year.
Ultimately all this new biological mass further upstream along with improved access should improve conditions for all salmonids but that takes longer to see happen, given the longer cycles of life they (other salmon) have.

Considering the project to allow access upstream cost but $86,000.00 nine years ago and the economic benefits derived from the success of it as well as the biological improvements to the river and all that may arise from that I think this has got to be one of the better "bang for your buck" good news stories around.

Here's a pic taken a couple of hours ago at the fence and there are still Pinks in the Tyee Pool as I type this.

Take care.

My son and I just got back from working the sandy pool August 15-16, and we came home with 15 fish. They were all beautiful looking, that fought hard on our 5wt and 6wt rods.
11 of them had Tapioca, one of them had the dangerous red cysts.

My son and I just got back from working the sandy pool August 15-16, and we came home with 15 fish. They were all beautiful looking, that fought hard on our 5wt and 6wt rods.
11 of them had Tapioca, one of them had the dangerous red cysts.

What are the dangerous red cysts?

Anisakis

Looks like the little flecks of blood you get around bruised parts of the fish. The difference is that it's in nice pink flesh, sometimes all over.

is anyone possibly know if pinks are still in lower river?
i know its a late in season but hopeing i can still take my kids there....

Back