Nanaimo - Spring / Summer 2014

It was a pretty a steady day out there today. Lots of fish being caught.
yby3a4ev.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what little fishing was done this weekend, besides the wind obviously - was pretty dismal. No prawns hardly (probably the heavy current) and the worst was the crazy algae bloom - never seen so much algae stick to my line from trolling around for a little bit, just brutal! Very hard to clean off.

Still nice to get out the new boat after weeks of hard work on it!

EDIT: What the heck was I thinking, meant to post in Vancouver/Sunshine Coast Report!

everytime I brought my line in I would get this muddy looking brown stuff stuck on my line would that be algae?

everytime I brought my line in I would get this muddy looking brown stuff stuck on my line would that be algae?

That muddy looking brown stuff is the result of the photo plankton blooming, and can get to the point that you have to clean of your line about every 15 minutes, or you will be unable to reel in any amount of line without cleaning it off.
If you do happen to hook a fish during this, in most cases the fish has to be quite forgiving to let you stop reeling and clean your line. It comes on every spring about this time of year, and is brought on by some sunshine.
Lure-washer

Does anyone know how the fishing was around the fingers today?? Hoping to head out tomorrow if the wind stays down.

Irish cream spoon and army truck hoochie 115 and 135 feet in 1000 feet of water. Also found a set of prawn gear floating in 900 feet of water, got it back to the owner.

It's only suppose to be windy Thursday. It's gonna be really nice Friday and Saturday then Sunday it's suppose to blow up a bit again. Hope that helps. I was out for a bit this morning it was nasty. Got 1 little one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Guys I'm new to Nanaimo and love this site, fished the Great lakes for 30+years a little different here can I get info on the right trolling speed?
Thanks

I use the angle of the downrigger line as a guide. Usually I try and keep it around 30 to 45 degrees to the water. I'm sure you will get a few other opinions

What part of the Great Lakes R-K? I fished Lower Lake Huron, Owen Sound, St. Catharines and various parts of Lake Erie for many years.

Hi Guys I'm new to Nanaimo and love this site, fished the Great lakes for 30+years a little different here can I get info on the right trolling speed?
Thanks

Welcome to the site :). I usually shoot for 2.5 mph as an average. I slow it up or speed it up depending on gear etc. I like to look at the down rigger line as well. I shoot for the same as others have posted.

I'll slow it up with small hootchies or speed it up with some spoons or plugs. If I'm running bait it's usually 2.5 mph that I'm trying to hit (depending on the roll). If there not biting I try speeding it up or down to see what will happen. That's why they call it fishing ;).

There is a ton of information on this site if you choose to use the search feature.

Good luck and welcome to Nanaimo.

Cheers,
John

Welcome to the forums! I don't use the downrigger line as a guide because fast current or running a line very deep will affect the blowback. I run off gps using speed over ground and run 2.7-3.2mph. I like to troll a little faster as I find it initiates more of a instinctive bite then a follow your bait for 10 minutes, sniff it out, bump it a bit type of bite.

Great info guys and thanks that's about the speed I have been using I'll try to speed it up a little this weekend and see how I do,it should be a good one. Thanks again

Bait - 2.5 to 2.8 mph speed over ground
Spoons hoochies 2.7 to 3.2 mph speed over ground
Plugs 3.5 to 4.5 mph speed over ground

h.e.h.

Bait - 2.5 to 2.8 mph speed over ground
Spoons hoochies 2.7 to 3.2 mph speed over ground
Plugs 3.5 to 4.5 mph speed over ground

h.e.h.
Welcome to West Coast fishing! I am sure you will learn faster and love fishing here :) but salmon fishing are lot of challenge for you. Just be patience and you will get your first salmon.

I thought the Tomic Tabby plug supposed to be slower than the Classic Tomic plug

Tomic Classic plug 3.0 - 4.0 MPH
Tomic Tabby plug 2.5 - 3.0 mph

Let me know if I am wrong.

All Rapala plugs are good for freshwater but few rapala can use for salmon.

Discus

Last edited by a moderator:
Back