2014 Port Renfrew & Swiftsure Reports

Spent the weekend in Port Renfrew, fishing is Ok, slow on the beach and not bad on the bank.
Size of Springs is down, which seemed to average 10-15 lbs with the odd bigger one in the mix.
Halibut also fairly slow and nothing bigger than 25lbs.
Lots of boats working the bank, some long lull's in between bites times.
Overall a successful trip and everyone came home with fish. :)

P.S. Thank you Des & Kevin !

Last edited by a moderator:
Good report Craven..........Flying back tomorrow for a week and then pulling the boat. Has there been any Sockeye show up or still pretty hit and miss?

here's a couple of pic's from our trip last weekend, some decent fish and a good time !

015.jpg

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 647
fished the beach - rock pile to walbran - aug 20 and 21 - 2 chinook (1 23#), 1 coho (released) and 1 sockeye. bites were short and haphazard. both chinook were on anchovy. a lot of time on the water for mediocre results. coho season can't come soon enough.

ground it out for 12 hours saturday to end up with 3 springs. Camper to Walbran. half day today only wielded one spring. Bites were definitely sporadic. Couldn't beat the weather today though.
End result was worth it, and also got to meet John of Hindsight charters. Good friendly salt of the earth kind of guy. One of the reasons why I love fishing Rennie!

ground it out for 12 hours saturday to end up with 3 springs. Camper to Walbran. half day today only wielded one spring. Bites were definitely sporadic. Couldn't beat the weather today though.
End result was worth it, and also got to meet John of Hindsight charters. Good friendly salt of the earth kind of guy. One of the reasons why I love fishing Rennie!

Still slow! It is very sad! I have a few more weeks up here so hope that it picks up...

Still slow! It is very sad! I have a few more weeks up here so hope that it picks up...

Dont worry, they are there, just requires more patience than usual. The locals are pretty good about where to fish and when, so dont be afraid to ask where the action is

My son caught and released a 17 lb wild steelhead at camper on Wednesday. Slow other than that. Just a couple of hatch coho. Had work hard for them though.

Fished Tuesday & Wednesday Rock Pile to Walbran. Most people picking up 1 or 2 but on Tuesday us with 1.
Wednesday hit a good bite at Logan just before the noon tide change and picked up 1 double header and 3 more in a 1 hour frenzie.
Most action at 40 ft. . Lots of arches on the sounder just have to find them and wait for the bite.

Good day yesterday with Last Chance Fishing Charters. Fished the bank - a bit slow for Springs, with only one keeper (26 pounds though!) but lots of Coho! We used a combination of bait and metals at lots of depths, from the ranch to the buoy. Moved off the ranch for Halibut and Kelly got us into the action! Weird short bites that I'm not used to with halibut; (bending the rod right over, but gone as soon as you touched the reel) we probably missed 10 good hits. But we managed to get them in, including a 60lber and a 40lber! Weather was among the best I've seen it out there - flat water with lots of visibility, and a sun that actually started to show! #unreel.

10522750_10154644991750647_3820754126344308405_n.jpg

Looks like a good day Sookes.........I just pulled my boat last weekend after getting a lot of days in this summer out there. That was pretty much how my summer was this year. I found the Spring fishing at the Bank slower as in less Springs but bigger fish on average when you found them. I would say the same for beach fishing for me as well. But with close to 40 days of fishing this summer I'm not complaining about a few slow days.....lol I won't starve this winter and got to release lots of nice fish this summer especially earlier on. Nothing like a good day weather and water wise on the bank!

As I am currently boatless... Wondering if anybody has been fishing off the beach near the bridge at the mouth of San Juan? Thanks

Back