2013 Tuna adventures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the info Nog.

From around 3 different sites I have been checking the warm water has moved out and the chloro's look even worse. I'm ready to go anytime just waiting for the stars to align. Sooonnnnn I hope. Looks good temp and distance wise out of Winter Harbor right now. Hardy as well. I've heard folks go after them out of Hardy.
    "You can watch things happen, you can make things happen, or you can wonder what the f*ck just happened". - Capt. Phil Harris.

Comment

I'll be out this weekend and had considered a tuna trip but it looks like the warm water is a bit far off. However, I have observed 3 commercial fishing boats on marinetraffic.com that have been working the area between Nitinat Canyon and Louden Canyon for the past few days. Maybe they were pulling nets (based on the pictures of the boats) but they did work that edge over hard and were moving around 8kts most of the time.

Comment

It's Saturday for the Reef Raider. Just finalizing the crew but looks like we are a go. Would be nice to have a couple boats out there with not having any temp shots

Comment

*#^k it!!! Ill go and all I may get is a big gas bill and a sore ass. Ive been skunked so many times in the past whats one more time. I fished tuna 3 years prior the last two without any data. I just went and fished at 30 to 40 miles. I did catch fish in green water and 13C water. Who's to say it cant happen again. Ill call it a glorified bird watching trip.
          Tuna fishing requires perfect elignment of the stars.

Comment

The sea gods need more sacrifices from us anyways. Can't just slay em every time! Gotta give a little back!....HeHe

Comment

haha, Im on a role. I got skunked really bad tonight off shore salmon fishing. Even went to all the big name spots.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdsnest View Post
                haha, Im on a role. I got skunked really bad tonight off shore salmon fishing. Even went to all the big name spots.

Everybody had a tough day, except us as we went bottomfishing. The salmon didn't bite very good until later in the afternoon.

Comment

Hammered them pretty good. The season opener for me was a five banger!!! Yeee haw!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Birdsnest View Post
                    Hammered them pretty good. The season opener for me was a five banger!!! Yeee haw!!!!
                    Nice work brother!!! I'd say first sport caught in Canada.

Good job.
                    Gimee the gaff!!!

Comment

Leave the dock at 445 am. Drive for 2 hours at 25 kn 222 degrees. Water on the way out gets cooler and cooler and at 30 miles is just under 11 C. Trying not to panic and have some faith I keep on driving. At 40 miles the temp starts to rise and at 45 miles it is up to 13.4C so I put the gear out. I am with a greeny, one of those guys who LOVES to fish but never fishes and gets sea sick easy and he is asleep so I put all the gear out alone and it takes a while. After one hour and 6 miles further out. BLAM! Quintuple Header!! Both right and left PMO's and Diveboards and the splash bird/left pull on a rod go off all in the span of about 45 seconds. This was great but as a team the fish made the landing very difficult and the end product was a real dandy of a birds nest. I just purchased different coloured line for this reason but this time it was no help in preventing such madness.
                      What a mess. The remainder of the day finds a triple a double and a hand full of singles for a total of 14 of which 3 additional smashes escape capture.
                      The hot tickets for the day were the Blue Brush Zuker and the Splatter back uv turd. Same as last season early on in the season.
                      The New Guy with his first tuna.

Saw the larges blue shark ever. About 8 feet long rubbing itself on a log. It did this for about an hour which we watched with fascination.

Twas a fine day.
                      Last edited by Birdsnest; 08-02-2013, 09:25 PM.

Comment

NICE WORK!!!

Comment

Congrats!!! sweet tangle for sure!
                          www.crabbyscharters.com

Comment

Awesome!!!

Comment

Yummy seared tuna for dinner.

Comment

Great trip!! Well done!!
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_18057_1446324525535_776[/ATTACH]"So many fish-So little time"

Comment

Working...
                                X