No announcement yet.

Mono vs. Braid for Salmon Trolling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To continue BigGuy's suggestion, when you reel it back in, make sure you cross-wrap as you wind it back. That makes any dig-in really shallow. Diawa make a spinning reel which cross-wraps braids to avoid spool-dig. Not that you really care about that, but it is an interesting tid-bit.

Cheers!

Comment

I really don't think spectra is that finicky as to worry about it getting buried continually. I treat mono the same way, you want to make sure it is spooled on the reel cleanly. Both lines should be spooled on the reel properly to ensure no problems.

A great knot for Spectra is the Sand Diego Jam Knot. I have been using the San Diego Jam knot for almost 20 years. It is an extremely strong knot, and is highly regarded for big game fishing. It has only recently been widely recognized as a great knot for spectra use as well. I have used it for at least fifteen years on spectra knots and have never had one slip. For use with braided lines increase to 10-12 turns, instead of the standard 5-7. This is a very easy knot to tie, and works great with all tests of lines from super heavy mono, to flouro, to spectra.

In extensive testing recently, Field and Stream rated the San Diego Jam Knot "The Strongest Terminal Knot"

Below is the link to the Field and Stream knot test results:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos...-fishing-knots

Below is another link with video tutorials on how to tie the single and Double San Diego Jam Knot(which is bulkier, but even stronger). Video's aren't necessary as it's such an easy knot to tie, but some people prefer videos so I thought I'd include.

http://ultimatefishingblog.blogspot....inch-knot.html

Comment

Merry Christmas all on board!

Got my wish yesterday and now have to decide what to spool up the new stainless Peetz with.
        I've been swearing by 80# green spiderwire braid for several years, learning curve was short and the benefits were many. 80# is a diameter to stay in the Scotty releases.

Ran into a weird situation last July while targetting sox in the canal. My daughter and I were running 4 rods, she had a pair of grinders and I had a pair of the little 4" Peetz's. One of her rigs had mono and the 3 others had braid. For some reason her mono set up caught 13 of the 16 sox that morning. Once I noticed this trend that morning I moved the rod around on the boat, changed terminal tackle, etc. It still kept outfishing the others. Some of you are thinking why did he mess with success ;-)
        The difference wasn't one of retaining fish once on but rather was the number of hits.
        I realize that one trip is tough to judge something on, statistically speaking, but it got me thinking!

Do any of you have experience with both mono and braid and have you noticed a difference in the frequency of hits? Did I just experience a weird morning or is there something about braid that scares salmon away from striking a trolled lure?
        The difference of that day hasn't been seen by me before or since.

Thanks.

Smiley.
        the only way to fail is to not try

Comment

Hi Smiley, Merry Christmas too you and everybody else as well.

If you attach a 30 ft section of mono to the end of your braid you'll never have to worry if the braid scares the fish. Sockeye are probably the most likely of the Salmon to shake off because of their soft mouths. You can use a large rubber snubber in front of the flasher if you find your losing too many of your Socos. Or just use mono on the socs if you feel uncomfortable using braid. I stuck to the braid when fishing this summer, I was glad I did when a I got into it with a couple of seals. One tried to steal a nice spring from me, luckily I battled it and won. The other one was a soco taken by a seal. By the time I got it close to the boat the seal had chewed it up pretty good, so I just gave him slack to finish his meal. I wanted my flasher and gear back as it was my hottest rig. Otherwise I wouldn't have given up on the battle so easily. At least with spectra you have a fighting chance against the seals. If you don't get the fish, at least you usually get your gear back.

I was a little surprised to see this thread resurrected. Oh well, it's been pretty quiet on here lately.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts TBG.

Since I fish with kids so much one of my favourite things about braid is how easy it is to pop the line out of the release for them, with mono they have to struggle to get it out.
            I really like your idea of snubbing the flasher since it will help with hits yet still allow the braid to be in the release!

Will put my mercury blood study gift card towards some new braid.

Smiley.
            the only way to fail is to not try

Comment

Do any of you have experience with both mono and braid and have you noticed a difference in the frequency of hits? Did I just experience a weird morning or is there something about braid that scares salmon away from striking a trolled lure?
              The difference of that day hasn't been seen by me before or since.

Nope, we are running braid on one side and mono on the other and no difference in number of hits.
              In fact using virtually the same gear last time out, 2 hits on the braid side and none on the mono.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigGuy View Post
                Everyone uses different reels, so it's a little difficult to be really difinitive about line quantities. The best backing is dacron, but it takes a ton of line to fill a large size mooching reel up with dacron. To give this a try the cheapest and easiest way is to use one of your mooching reels already spooled with decent mono. Select a reel that is a bit of line down from full capacity. Usually about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch down from full capacity is good. Next attach the mono to the braid with a good knot recommended for this purpose. I use an Albright Special knot, it is very easy to tie.

Next spool up 300 yards of spectra in 45-65 pound test. 50 pound test is good for most applications, lots of strength but still a reasonably small diameter line. If using spectra on multiple reels it helps to use different colors in case of tangles, it's easier to undo them. Hopefully you guestimated the amount of space required correctly and the spectra fills the reel just to capacity. If the reel ends up a little over full you can always reel it off onto another reel of the same make with a little more room on the spool. It's all a trial and error thing to get it filled just right. Make sure you record the amount of space required on the drum to spool up 300 yards of the test spectra you are using. That way you can reliably duplicate it if you want to spool up another of the same reel with spectra in the future.

Once spooled with the spectra join on at least 20 feet of 40 pound test mono with another Albright special knot. The tag end of the spectra line can be made extra solid after tying the Albright special by using a lock knot.

Hope that helps.

TheBigGuy,

Have ever seen or tried this version of the Albright knot? I tied up few based on the video and it makes a nice looking streamlined knot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92R9F9ZNi2I

Comment

The Albright has a few variations, I settled on the Albright Special as the version I prefered to tie for braided lines. It just seemed easier for me to tie reliably than other versions. I'm sure the other variations all work equally well.

Comment

Working...
                  X