Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sport Fishing Advisory Board Meeting!!!! BE THERE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sport Fishing Advisory Board Meeting!!!! BE THERE

    SFAB Meeting March 21st Wednesday Four Point Sheraton Hotel (behind Costco in Langford) 7pm


    All public welcome!!


    If you care about fishing now or in the future show up and show your support!!






    Please tell your friends who may have not heard about the meeting as well. Power in numbers!


    I could not see a notice for this in the 'Meetings' section.
    Last edited by fish stalker; 03-20-2012, 05:45 PM.

  • #2
    Suggest all SFBC forum members wear a name tag with their forum handle on their chest for recognition.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'll be the guy with the beard
      I think holmes grabbed my junk in the "pile on" though....I found it inappropriate but I was released gently; given what we were piling on about I found it educational as to a good release. ~ Pip
      This is by far the weirdest thread ive seen on this forum yet. Ive read through some pretty intense stuff but this is just mind boggling. I also regret reading all 8 pages. ~ AquaDisiacIII


      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Lipripper View Post
        I'll be the guy with the beard
        I've got a beard too.

        Comment


        • #5
          Well I'll be the younger guy with the beard
          I think holmes grabbed my junk in the "pile on" though....I found it inappropriate but I was released gently; given what we were piling on about I found it educational as to a good release. ~ Pip
          This is by far the weirdest thread ive seen on this forum yet. Ive read through some pretty intense stuff but this is just mind boggling. I also regret reading all 8 pages. ~ AquaDisiacIII


          Comment


          • #6
            http://bcove.me/wpalu7us
            "You can watch things happen, you can make things happen, or you can wonder what the f*ck just happened". - Capt. Phil Harris.

            Comment


            • #7
              Quite the meeting. I don't think sport fishermen were open to wiring with DFO to reduce numbers.
              “The Gods do not subtract from men’s lives - the time spent fishing.”

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Theb55 View Post
                Quite the meeting. I don't think sport fishermen were open to wiring with DFO to reduce numbers.
                Give us the low down b55.
                "You can watch things happen, you can make things happen, or you can wonder what the f*ck just happened". - Capt. Phil Harris.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Wow what a turn out. I didnt see any notices but I was told there was mention of it in a TC article or two. I posted up on a few forums and used vic and criagslist just incase to try and get numbers up. I am new to saltwater fishing but born and raised in Vic and plan on spending quite a few more years here. I am trying to educate myself on the issues that rec fishers are facing and hopefully help be apart of the solution. Not just a bump on the log. Here some of my thoughts.

                  I have always have mixed feelings about media and what and how it portrays a situation. This is no different, esp with the clips I have seen tonight from chek. CTV was the news crew who was there and wish they had stuck around to get some educated points that were brought up after they left. They have a tendency to twist things and leave out important and relevant numbers and facts.

                  Just a thought id like to know about is the latest clip that aired and hearing what was said tonight I would like to know what measures fn is taking? There impact on that particular Fraser run is 35% while rec is 11 and they make us seem like the bad guy.

                  Im not sure why they didnt asnwer but I would have also liked to hear the answer from dfo on the testing methods of ISA/ISAV and IF they are working on new methods of testing.

                  I also feel reassured that my original thought on SFAB was correct. That there hand was forced on the halibut issue and they had to pick the lesser of two evils in the choice rec allocation.

                  I would also like to read some of the information dfo says they have done studies on. Like saying there are pristine rivers in the interior that have dwindling stocks, what river is this? Bits of propaganda for media use. Name the river.

                  Someone can explain this better then me but one thing that came up was why and how dfo is making these qeusstamtions on how things will turn out this year and putting in place restrictions. Since they 'have no data' they are using numbers from 2006 and scaling them up. Which is crazy because there is so many variables there is no way that can be accurate. And there lack of data seems to be a copout bs excuse for there disorganization.

                  Mabey someone can explain the motions that were put forward and if, what and how they will have a impact of decisions being made.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by fish stalker View Post
                    Wow what a turn out. I didnt see any notices but I was told there was mention of it in a TC article or two. I posted up on a few forums and used vic and criagslist just incase to try and get numbers up. I am new to saltwater fishing but born and raised in Vic and plan on spending quite a few more years here. I am trying to educate myself on the issues that rec fishers are facing and hopefully help be apart of the solution. Not just a bump on the log. Here some of my thoughts.

                    I have always have mixed feelings about media and what and how it portrays a situation. This is no different, esp with the clips I have seen tonight from chek. CTV was the news crew who was there and wish they had stuck around to get some educated points that were brought up after they left. They have a tendency to twist things and leave out important and relevant numbers and facts.

                    Just a thought id like to know about is the latest clip that aired and hearing what was said tonight I would like to know what measures fn is taking? There impact on that particular Fraser run is 35% while rec is 11 and they make us seem like the bad guy.

                    Im not sure why they didnt asnwer but I would have also liked to hear the answer from dfo on the testing methods of ISA/ISAV and IF they are working on new methods of testing.

                    I also feel reassured that my original thought on SFAB was correct. That there hand was forced on the halibut issue and they had to pick the lesser of two evils in the choice rec allocation.

                    I would also like to read some of the information dfo says they have done studies on. Like saying there are pristine rivers in the interior that have dwindling stocks, what river is this? Bits of propaganda for media use. Name the river.

                    Someone can explain this better then me but one thing that came up was why and how dfo is making these qeusstamtions on how things will turn out this year and putting in place restrictions. Since they 'have no data' they are using numbers from 2006 and scaling them up. Which is crazy because there is so many variables there is no way that can be accurate. And there lack of data seems to be a copout bs excuse for there disorganization.

                    Mabey someone can explain the motions that were put forward and if, what and how they will have a impact of decisions being made.
                    Thank you fish stalker big time for sharing your experience of the meeting and the information.

                    I hope other's post up there opinion of the meeting and any other information to share.
                    Last edited by Sculpin; 03-22-2012, 09:31 AM.
                    "You can watch things happen, you can make things happen, or you can wonder what the f*ck just happened". - Capt. Phil Harris.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      When they mention pristine rivers, I think they mean the Stein River, but that's the only one I can think of.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The meeting could be summed up as following:

                        DFO Does not know if the smolts survive the run out of the Fraser, they have no data.

                        DFO Does not have data on ocean survival. Since they don't know if the smolts come out of the Fraser or not, they say ocean survival is Poor.

                        DFO is basing numbers on data from 2006. Since that was only 6 years ago, that data they feel is fine.

                        So DFO said in a round about way that they don't know a f*cking thing, and the only tool in the box is to cut a fishery that has an %11 impact in half..
                        Last Chance Fishing Adventures

                        www.fishsooke.com
                        www.lastchancefishingadventures.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The first motion that was put forward and carried unanimously was like this: The SFAB rejects any further restrictions to the sportfishing sector in Area 18, 19, 20 until such time as DFO has addressed factors such as salmon habitat, salmon enhancement ...

                          There was a second motion unanimously carried - I can't think of it right now.

                          And then profisher put forward another motion that may have passed too: The SFAB demands that all upper management of DFO is fired and replaced by third party controlled committees made out of scientists and representatives of all 3 user groups.

                          I think the message was clear. Can someone fill in the second motion please? I think it was by Tom Davis demanding a review of DFO management practices on the threatened chinook stocks and more research on the specific impacts on them???
                          Last edited by chris73; 03-22-2012, 09:00 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by LastChance View Post
                            The meeting could be summed up as following:

                            DFO Does not know if the smolts survive the run out of the Fraser, they have no data.

                            DFO Does not have data on ocean survival. Since they don't know if the smolts come out of the Fraser or not, they say ocean survival is Poor.

                            DFO is basing numbers on data from 2006. Since that was only 6 years ago, that data they feel is fine.

                            So DFO said in a round about way that they don't know a f*cking thing, and the only tool in the box is to cut a fishery that has an %11 impact in half..
                            Also,

                            DFO is convinced that there is no connection between the existance of oceanic fish farms and chinook mortality.

                            When asked, no explanation of why JDF Strait is the only area targetted for Fraser River chinook "directed" sportfishing restrictions and not other areas on the West Coast or the Gulf where these fish obviously migrate through.

                            It was one of the most pathetic things I have ever witnessed listening to this guy answer questions. He started every answer by saying "That is (another) a great question, " but proceeded, as expected, to not even come close to providing an answer. That was pure affirmation of a "puppet" trying to protect an absolutely corrupt and inept organization.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I doubt the motion to remove all top DFO officials will be acted on. DFO is like a fire department that disconnects the phone, locks the doors and closes the blinds and then says there there aren't any fires to fight because nobody of significance has let them know. Besides, if fires do happen, we will cordon off the are so nobody can see it. Maybe it's time we put pickets around DFO and blockaded fish farms. How about implementing an Orca program to train them to eat seals. Definitely a win-win there:-)
                              “The Gods do not subtract from men’s lives - the time spent fishing.”

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X