Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alexandra Morton Speaking... please attend!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alexandra Morton Speaking... please attend!

UVic Talk with Alexandra Morton

Saturday, April 21, 2012 - 19:00 - 22:00
    Location: David Lam Auditorium at the University of Victoria A144 MacLarin Hall

What's Happening to Our Wild Salmon? You need to know what we know. Dr. Alexandra Morton will be giving a talk featuring evidence, testmony and internal emails that came to light at the 25 million dollar public inquiry known as the Cohen Commission established to find out what has been happening to the Fraser River sockeye and it was reopened in Dec, 2011 to hear evidence on Infectioous Salmon Anemia virus or ISA. Why the 20 year decline and total collapse of the 2009 stocks?

Find out what we have learned with our own sampling and testing of fish in the rivers and of farmed salmon purchased at the supermarkets. If you want wild salmon you really must look at this evidence.

Doors open at 7pm
    talk begins at 7:30pm
    Admission is free
    but donations are greatly welcomed to help us continue with this work and spread the message of it.
    "Save wild salmon - can the D.F.O." - tee shirt from Pacific Net and Twine

Thanks for posting this Fox. Sucks but I may be in Vancouver. Hope lots of the forum members can make it out there as Alex knows more about this stuff than anyone and I guarantee you, if you are at all on the fence on the net-pen . Wondering if Dr. John Volpe makes an appearance (maybe he will cause he and Alex have history and he works at U Vic). Met them both and you'd be pressed to find more knowledgeable or passionate people among the opposition to salmon farming. (Volpe was the one who discovered wild-spawned Atlantic salmon in 3 separate rivers on Vancouver Island back in the late 90's).
    "Some could care less if there's any fish left for our kids!"

Comment

Originally posted by Little Hawk View Post
      Thanks for posting this Fox. Sucks but I may be in Vancouver. Hope lots of the forum members can make it out there as Alex knows more about this stuff than anyone and I guarantee you, if you are at all on the fence on the net-pen . Wondering if Dr. John Volpe makes an appearance (maybe he will cause he and Alex have history and he works at U Vic). Met them both and you'd be pressed to find more knowledgeable or passionate people among the opposition to salmon farming. (Volpe was the one who discovered wild-spawned Atlantic salmon in 3 separate rivers on Vancouver Island back in the late 90's).
      I was wondering the same thing (Dr. John), L.H. There are some heavy hitters affiliated with UVic and having them there would be very cool.

Do we have a representative that would stand up and publically announce that many sportfishers are fully supportive of wild salmon conservation, Dr. Morton and the research she is doing? An effort at building bridges with other groups that may be suspect of our motives.

Comment

Myself and two of my family are going to be there.....

Comment

Originally posted by Englishman View Post
          Myself and two of my family are going to be there.....
          Terrific - so will you do it, Englishman?
          Do we have a representative that would stand up and publically announce that many sportfishers are fully supportive of wild salmon conservation, Dr. Morton and the research she is doing?

Comment

I would love to be there, she is the Patron Saint of Wild salmon.
            I have been told my signature is too old, anybody have one I could use?

Comment

I'm planning on being there. Will have to spend the day at buchart gardens with the wife as a result. But I am 90% there.

Comment

Would like to hear her talk, but my B-Day..so I have to cut a cake. like I've already done it 52 times before...enough all ready!
                Without fish there be no fishing. Get involved or accept that you will continue to fish less in the future!

Comment

Alexander will be on a panel at 10:45 on Saturday at the BCWF AGM in Courtenay next weekend.
                  Dave
                  17'2" Hourston Sportsman
                  115 HP Mercury Optimax
                  8 HP Mercury 4 Stroke
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lorneparker1 View Post
                    I'm planning on being there. Will have to spend the day at buchart gardens with the wife as a result. But I am 90% there.
                    Lorneparker1 PM sent
                    sigpicThe four B’s of fishing: boat, bait, beer and BS. The Three Rules of Fishing 1. Bait your own hook. 2. Clean your own fish. 3. Tell your own lies.

Comment

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2409621/

READ THIS, then if you can, please go.

Lorne

Comment

Interesting read for sure... Equally surprising is the author
                        I think holmes grabbed my junk in the "pile on" though....I found it inappropriate but I was released gently; given what we were piling on about I found it educational as to a good release. ~ Pip
                        This is by far the weirdest thread ive seen on this forum yet. Ive read through some pretty intense stuff but this is just mind boggling. I also regret reading all 8 pages. ~ AquaDisiacIII

Comment

I posted the article on my Facebook page. I'm sorry that I will not make it to the meeting but will be at future ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipripper View Post
                            Interesting read for sure... Equally surprising is the author
                            Is he related to cranky, old Stephen Hume?
                            He's written a number of articles about Dr. Morton, the plight of W.C. fish, the research of Dr. Miller being hushed, Enbridge..., is subtly critical of the government agenda and always seems to support conservation

Mark Hume is a National Correspondent for The Globe and Mail, based in Vancouver, writing news and feature stories on a daily basis about his home province of British Columbia. His weekly column, which often challenges the orthodoxy on environmental issues, appears every Monday.

Born in Victoria, Mr. Hume was editor of the University of Victoria student newspaper before working as a reporter for local dailies in Victoria, Vancouver, Edmonton and Ottawa. He spent three years based in Yellowknife, covering the Arctic, before returning to the West Coast where, as an investigative reporter for The Vancouver Sun, he wrote a series of more than 50 stories that exposed criminal activities tied to NDP fund raising. The scandal, which became known as ‘Bingogate,' led to the conviction of a former cabinet minister for fraud and the political fallout caused the resignation of a premier. Mr. Hume also wrote a special 16-page newspaper supplement that explored the environmental threats facing Georgia Strait. He helped launch the National Post, serving as the founding Vancouver bureau chief, before joining The Globe in 2003.

He has won numerous national and provincial journalism awards and both the Haig-Brown and the BC Booksellers Choice prizes for two of his natural history books, River of the Angry Moon and Birds of the Raincoast.

Mr. Hume played rugby for 15 years, coached girls soccer teams, has helped science journalist Margaret Munro raise their two daughters, Emma and Claire, ties his own flies and knows where to go in B.C. to catch some very big trout.

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Sylvan View Post
                              I posted the article on my Facebook page. I'm sorry that I will not make it to the meeting but will be at future ones.
                              My wife and I attended the outstanding presentation from Alexandra Morton.
                              Maybe 40 people in a hall that holds 300...shame on us.!!!
                              Some good questions, but unless you guys get off your A_ _ nothing is going to happen!

Comment

Working...
                              X