Prop pitch

Boat is ready, taking the week off, going to set up camp and do some test runs, Derek at Sherwood says overprop at 21.5 , so going to test it out and go from there, 17 is where he thinks I should be

Boat is ready, taking the week off, going to set up camp and do some test runs, Derek at Sherwood says overprop at 21.5 , so going to test it out and go from there, 17 is where he thinks I should be
Derek is the man! He’s done a lot for me over the years!! Still helps me a ton even with being in terrace!

I ran a DF300 on a 24 footer, approx. 7,000 lbs. I’m now running twin DF300’s on a 28 footer (15,000 lbs) On both boats, the tried and true propeller has been the Suzuki 16 x 18.5 , either old-school, or the newer Watergrips.

I’ve read many, many many posts from guys on the East COast running DFF300’s making the same inquiry as the OP is doing …..they all tried going up and down in pitch but it seemed they all finally settled on the 16 x 18.5’s. I’m thinking you’d be over-propped with the 21.5’s (although I did run a 26 Seasport with twin DF200’s and the guy who sold it to me had it propped with 16 x 21.5’s. He insisted he’d tried lots of other props and finally settled on the 21.5’s for ‘big water’ running. He built the boat himself, had built lots of other boats, and propped them all himself so I went with the 21.5 program and never looked back

I’m thinking the 17’s will give you high-end speed but the problem with PNW boating is top end is not something we can do all that much due to crappy weather. I’ll bet the 16 x 18.5 will be a good all-around prop, especially for purposeful hole-shots and mid to upper range performance.

I’ll also add that in all the reading I’ve done about the DF300’s, it seems they like to be hung low on the transom. My twins are. I know I might be able to get a bit better fuel burn rate by raising them up but the props never break free, even on the tightest turns and handle big water with purpose so I’m not going to fix what ain’t broken

Last edited:
I ran a DF300 on a 24 footer, approx. 7,000 lbs. I’m now running twin DF300’s on a 28 footer (15,000 lbs) On both boats, the tried and true propeller has been the Suzuki 16 x 18.5 , either old-school, or the newer Watergrips.

I’ve read many, many many posts from guys on the East COast running DFF300’s making the same inquiry as the OP is doing …..they all tried going up and down in pitch but it seemed they all finally settled on the 16 x 18.5’s. I’m thinking you’d be over-propped with the 21.5’s (although I did run a 26 Seasport with twin DF200’s and the guy who sold it to me had it propped with 16 x 21.5’s. He insisted he’d tried lots of other props and finally settled on the 21.5’s for ‘big water’ running. He built the boat himself, had built lots of other boats, and propped them all himself so I went with the 21.5 program and never looked back

I’m thinking the 17’s will give you high-end speed but the problem with PNW boating is top end is not something we can do all that much due to crappy weather. I’ll bet the 16 x 18.5 will be a good all-around prop, especially for purposeful hole-shots and mid to upper range performance.

I’ll also add that in all the reading I’ve done about the DF300’s, it seems they like to be hung low on the transom. My twins are. I know I might be able to get a bit better fuel burn rate by raising them up but the props never break free, even on the tightest turns and handle big water with purpose so I’m not going to fix what ain’t broken
Thanks, all I can do at this point is try it,see where the 21.5 put me at wot, then go down from there, speed is not my thing, get up and go is more my thing, would of been nice to save 2500$ on props lol, they also CR and wondering if I should get the motor running RR before buying new props

Right hand props will be easier to come by the watergrip props seem to be slightly higher pitch than advertised. Sounds like you’re dealing with a good shop but I would still strongly encourage you to check that your motors mounted at the correct height before spending big money on props. It really does make a huge difference and even more so now at 2.50/L + for marine fuel. your motor will thank you as well when it’s not working as hard and singing away happily. Cav plate is just visible ABOVE the water line while planing doesn’t have to be much and will depend on your load but with a half tank of fuel and 2-3guys on board it should be out of the water on step.

Right hand props will be easier to come by the watergrip props seem to be slightly higher pitch than advertised. Sounds like you’re dealing with a good shop but I would still strongly encourage you to check that your motors mounted at the correct height before spending big money on props. It really does make a huge difference and even more so now at 2.50/L + for marine fuel. your motor will thank you as well when it’s not working as hard and singing away happily. Cav plate is just visible ABOVE the water line while planing doesn’t have to be much and will depend on your load but with a half tank of fuel and 2-3guys on board it should be out of the water on step.
I intend to have a peak, the idea is to have the cavitation plate skimming the water on step trimmed out, from what they told me it’s going to be mounted exactly like my Honda 3” above the plane of the keel, I will go from there, I’ve played with props a lot over the years(IO) but not so much on outboard, I would be really impressed if a 21.5 pitch would work on my set up, would be nice but ???i. If it’s in the lower range I will keep a 21.5 as a spare and get my main prop the right pitch, the props where a bonus, I did not think they came with the motor, 2-3 guys ??? No way I hate people 😂😂😂, probably going to set it up for light load , 95% of the time I am solo, so will set it up for that

Last edited:
If you have to buy new marketplace is where to look. I found lots of enertia props on there and a used prop is not worth 1/2 of new
Ya been looking , all there is for suke is a 17” pitch for 1200$ lol, they are 1200$ new, lots of smaller diameter props that would fit, but want to stay with the 16”x whatever going to work

Back