Boats on Used Victoria and Other Areas

Hey all. I did a virtual walk through with the fellas at Thunderbird on the DE 185 they just got in, and I'm interested but noticed a bit.
https://thunderbirdyachtsales.com/yacht-sales/18-double-eagle-185/
Looking for some feedback on the few red flags I observed. Boat looks like its spent most of its time in water, you can see the oxidation on the main and kicker, plus the bottom paint and sides have a bit of blistering in the gel coat. Also, the transom has been painted over in one portion and there is a small crack in the gelcoat there, maybe signs of previous damage. Got some patched over holes in the transom where I guess a speedo used to be? Zinc on main is shot. Trailer bunk carpet shot. Power wire to kicker runs fwd/over instead of through the side of the well. Wiring is a bit sloppy. Hydraulic reservoir on trailer rusted up. Asking $40k for it, which seems not that far off (a bit high maybe). Boat is pretty clean. Any thoughts? Subject to engine inspect, survey and sea trail of course.

Hey all. I did a virtual walk through with the fellas at Thunderbird on the DE 185 they just got in, and I'm interested but noticed a bit.
Looking for some feedback on the few red flags I observed. Boat looks like its spent most of its time in water, you can see the oxidation on the main and kicker, plus the bottom paint and sides have a bit of blistering in the gel coat. Also, the transom has been painted over in one portion and there is a small crack in the gelcoat there, maybe signs of previous damage. Got some patched over holes in the transom where I guess a speedo used to be? Zinc on main is shot. Trailer bunk carpet shot. Power wire to kicker runs fwd/over instead of through the side of the well. Wiring is a bit sloppy. Hydraulic reservoir on trailer rusted up. Asking $40k for it, which seems not that far off (a bit high maybe). Boat is pretty clean. Any thoughts? Subject to engine inspect, survey and sea trail of course
I wouldn’t call them red flags, more like in need of some basic maintenance as it is 14 years old
Definitely continue with due diligence
Nice platform for its size

Looking for some feedback on the few red flags I observed. Boat looks like its spent most of its time in water, you can see the oxidation on the main and kicker, plus the bottom paint and sides have a bit of blistering in the gel coat. Also, the transom has been painted over in one portion and there is a small crack in the gelcoat there, maybe signs of previous damage. Got some patched over holes in the transom where I guess a speedo used to be? Zinc on main is shot. Trailer bunk carpet shot. Power wire to kicker runs fwd/over instead of through the side of the well. Wiring is a bit sloppy. Hydraulic reservoir on trailer rusted up. Asking $40k for it, which seems not that far off (a bit high maybe). Boat is pretty clean. Any thoughts? Subject to engine inspect, survey and sea trail of course.
Thunderbird disagrees with your assessment: "This 18′ Double Eagle is meticulously maintained"

;-)

Is the Zinc completely gone or mostly done its job and needs to be replaced?

Given there is nothing on Craigslist vancouver with a cuddy, if you want one with a cuddy, I’d guesstimate the cost of repairs maintenance, list it out and make an offer, subject to mechanic inspection, sea trail and a survey. My BS thought I’d offer 34k (but that’s without any realistic idea of the cost of the hull condition repair) if they come back with 36k I’d put it under contract. Repairs might cost you a lot more than 4K but get you close, also have 30k in a line of credit just in case the engine goes as it’s a 14 year old engine.

There is a nice campion 542 on Facebook marketplace in Saanich for a little cheaper but not much available out there.

Looks like lack of basic maintenance, get a good survey done,

Is the Zinc completely gone or mostly done its job and needs to be replaced?

Given there is nothing on Craigslist vancouver with a cuddy, if you want one with a cuddy, I’d guesstimate the cost of repairs maintenance, list it out and make an offer, subject to mechanic inspection, sea trail and a survey. My BS thought I’d offer 34k (but that’s without any realistic idea of the cost of the hull condition repair) if they come back with 36k I’d put it under contract. Repairs might cost you a lot more than 4K but get you close, also have 30k in a line of credit just in case the engine goes as it’s a 14 year old engine.

There is a nice campion 542 on Facebook marketplace in Saanich for a little cheaper but not much available out there.

The zinc is still there but did its job, boat sat in there water a lot it appears. Not the biggest fan of the 542, feels cramped for some reason. Ya, I hear you about the main, showing 340 something hours so should have lots of life if it was maintained. Good advice, thanks.

The zinc is still there but did its job, boat sat in there water a lot it appears. Not the biggest fan of the 542, feels cramped for some reason. Ya, I hear you about the main, showing 340 something hours so should have lots of life if it was maintained. Good advice, thanks.
Interesting, I found the opposite.. back deck on the 185 feels tiny compared to the 542 to me

My god, tell me about it. Forged in the fires of hell those things.

The derail guys are surely hating me right now. Sorry?
79 on a pitch n putt? 😉I think golf and fishing scratch a certain itch for a certain middle aged fella. I'm here for it. Shot an 83 at Swane Links a couple weeks ago. Have sub 80 in my sites. Maybe we need a new thread.

Back